Suzuki SX4

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:40am
One more post since you asked.
There is nothing catastrophically wrong with the Swift. However it is not anywhere near the car its made out to be. Its popularity is based purely on heavy marketing alone. Just like Brother printers, Bose sound systems etc
Its marketed cleverly and heavily to people who don't know any better and are unlikely to take the time to learn.

The car has always been years behind in technology, fuel economy is not very good, its still using an ancient 4 speed automatic transmission, handling is average at best, all this despite being a "new" model. Its basically an old car in a new party dress.

Nothing is catastrophically bad in any one area but it drags its heals and just scrapes in with the bare minimum required in every aspect.

In short you can get so much more car for your money you just have to evaluate what else is available rather than blindly following others who have also failed to do any research.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:44am
Hey, like I said if you are happy to accept a much lesser car just so you can say it was "New" as opposed to very slightly secondhand when you bought it go for gold. Its your money and clearly it sounds like you are very happy with the SX4.

I am just pointing out another option. If you really care about specs and what you are and are not getting for your money I thought you would have been interested to know.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:44am
Hey, like I said if you are happy to accept a much lesser car just so you can say it was "New" as opposed to very slightly secondhand when you bought it go for gold. Its your money and clearly it sounds like you are very happy with the SX4.

I am just pointing out another option. If you really care about specs and what you are and are not getting for your money I thought you would have been interested to know.

BTW, its not a 6 speed auto it comes with, its not even an auto at all. Its just a CVT with a gimmicky 6 speed "virtual" tiptronic mode that dosn't give you anything useful.

Don't get me wrong I like a good CVT so long as its properly designed and you maintain it but compared to VW's DSG its a poor second. The economy figures show how the technology in the SX4 is lacking if you need a simple guide.

BTW, what are you seeing spec wise in the SX4 that you can't find in a Golf! The Golf is a vastly more sophisticated vehicle.

countrypete, Feb 12, 8:45am
Insurance companies work on the basis of percentages - if the damage exceeds a certain percentage of replacement they write the car off.You'll find the price of panels, lights etc for a Swift are pretty comparable to a Vic / Jazz, Corolla, Fiesta etc.But because Suzuki choose to market the Swift at low retail pricing (and avoid the "haggling discount" you can get with some other brands), it makes parts appear expensive.In outright terms the parts prices are pretty much of a muchness with others (barring the outrageous pricing for new Euro parts that is).

Secondly, Insurance companies go for the cheaper option.A fairly intact Swift achieves a higher price at auction as a write-off, so the likelihood is that the company can lessen their cost by writing the car off and selling it.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:51am
Speaking of CVT's. If it was me buying an SX4 the key thing I would be researching is the CVT. Find out who makes it and whether it has a replaceable filter. If it does not have a replaceable filter that is easily changed when you change the fluid I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Thats half the problem with the Honda Jazz CVT and seems to be a design flaw that many seem eager to follow.

shelleigh, Feb 12, 9:52pm
They have a crap steering lock.
The Corolla hatch is far more popular now.

intrade, Feb 12, 10:01pm
vw polo blue motionkia picanto also worth looking at , for low price and low fuelconsumption We cant seem to get no frills low cost new cars in newzealand other then gelee chinese stuff with way to high fuelconsumption for 2012 manual stickshift is what to get if possibile for lower fuelconsumption. picanto-manual is to my research the lowest priced lowest fuelcunsumption combination that you can buy brand new in this country.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 10:03pm
Yes its a shame Ateco have Fiat tied up and are too stupid/lazy to bring in the Panda.

ezekiel67, Feb 13, 12:51am
That would be from the boat loads of Corollas which are sold to rental companies every year and end up as Signature Class cars.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 9:32am
fixed it for ya!

shelleigh, Feb 13, 8:36pm
Naughty Jazz!
Am going to take a Mk5 Golf wagon for a blat. oops, I mean test drive, in the next couple of weeks.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 10:08pm
Sweet!
Have fun.
As and when you get to looking at one seriously I am happy to give an opinion on any specific ones if that's of any help. If by chance you see any you like over my way (Tauranga/Rotorua) I have the fancy pants VW software and can give one a diagnostic check etc for you if you need.