Suzuki SX4

Page 1 / 2
woody1946, Feb 12, 3:20am
Anyone here got one or know if these are a good car !. What else would be worth looking at in the $26k - $30k price range for a new car

poohy99, Feb 12, 3:42am
I would suggest a VW Polo, the base model.

rovercitroen, Feb 12, 3:50am
My parents bought a new SX4 two years ago and are very happy with it.

woody1946, Feb 12, 3:52am
Thanks for that. They would probably be even happier with the new model upgrades

woody1946, Feb 12, 4:00am
The base model is 1400cc as against the Sx4 2000cc and dosn't have anywhere near the options of the SX4. Its not till you get to the TSI Golf that you get near to a comparison and they are quite a bit dearer

jsbike, Feb 12, 6:12am
Parents got a brand new but imported (reg in japan then shipped to NZ, avoids new car tax or something if its reg in japan 1st), 1400cc 2wd, fog lights, factory tints, alloys, leveling headlights, auto, keyless entry and start, roof rails, wheel arch guards, $22k. They love it.

ezekiel67, Feb 12, 6:41am
What's a new car tax!

It must be rather gutless with a only a 1400cc. Go for NZ new - the 2000cc model goes really well. They've got a 0% interest deal on at the moment which may be help!

rovercitroen, Feb 12, 6:48am
My parents is a NZ new 2 litre. Nice car with a good standard of finish and assembly. Would drive better if it was a 5 or 6 speed auto rather than the 4 speed but at about $23k brand new on special was a great deal and a great car.

woody1946, Feb 12, 6:55am
Like I said above, look at the specs of the latest model. 6 speed auto with paddle shift or 6 speed manual

jsbike, Feb 12, 7:44am
From what my parents told me, if a car goes straight from japan then to nz it is taxed in japan as a new car. Their's was reg in japan, then de-reg, then sent here, and so was not taxed as a new car.

its "OK" being 1400cc (or 1500!), suits them anyway and seems to be higher spec'ed than the NZ new ones. Uses far less gas than the 1800cc suzuki Areo/Liana did.

woody1946, Feb 12, 7:48am
Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with a SuzukiSwift , they are 1400/1500cc

stevo2, Feb 12, 7:49am
JDM has a 1500cc model.
Stevo

jsbike, Feb 12, 7:52am
Correct, it must be vvt 1500cc.

countrypete, Feb 12, 7:53am
I've had three SX4s as company cars, the last being the latest CVT model.They have plenty of room, a great seating position, and enough grunt to tow my 19ft fibreglass boat (though not really recommended.)The only negative was higher than average fuel consumption with the permanent 4wd, but that's the trade-off you get with any permanent 4wd.Gret level of standard equipment, and really good value for money.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:02am
The smart money would forget the SX4 and buy an almost new VW Golf with say 10'000km on the clock.

A friend of mind just bought a new SX4 and its just rubbish next to the Golf. Admittedly the Golf is a dearer car but when you can have one that is effectively new for the same money I can't see how you would justify the SX4.

Whats so great about the Golf!

Basically everything!

Economy/power, features, quality of build, technology, safety. its just much better in every way. I could spend forever going in to the details but can't be bothered tonight.

Buy the brand new SX4 if you must but do so in the knowledge that you are getting much lesser car for the ability to say you bought it brand new.

Another option if you didn't want a particularly large car is the Fiat 500, not only does it look great and should hold its value really well. It is a properly decent car underneath the stylish retro looks. The slightly used Golf is still the better car in terms of value for money though.

Not meaning to hate on the SX4 there are certainly worse cars you can buy. However the SX4 and Suzuki swift are massively over hyped for what they are, which is a result of great marketing as opposed to an outstanding product. They are functional transport for a reasonable price though.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

woody1946, Feb 12, 8:13am
Thanks for that info, but I think you are in the minority that don't recommend the SX4. Just did a search of the message board and so far yours is the only negative comment

countrypete, Feb 12, 8:16am
thejazzpianoma wrote:
I was wondering when that guy would turn up, he's a cracked record stock on VW Golfs.The golf is probably a more dynamic drive, but the length of time you will be without it while it's being repaired because the electrics failed, or a trim panel fell off or something equally annoying or expensive, really rules it out.And the depreciation on a near-new golf is horrendous due to their lack of popularity new.All well and good if you are investing $10k or so, but shell out $38k or so on a new one, and you will see depreciation re-defined.

And avoid the DSG version like the plague if you need reliability.If you want confirmation of that, talk to any coca cola rep.

The SX4 ain't perfect, but it does it's job as well as any others, and is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of value for money, reliability and practicality.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:25am
LOL, classic. You are demonstrating perfectly the sheep mentality which drives Suzuki sales. The Swift was the classic example of this.

countrypete, Feb 12, 8:27am
Careful Woody, if you dare to disagree with jazzcarcinoma he ignores the subject and resorts to personally insulting you.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:29am
Actually, no it dosn't do its job as well as any others. it uses more fuel to do the same job as the Golf for starters.

It is also not more reliable at all, its actually fractionally less reliable than the Golf

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/203 http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/247

Not sure how it is more practical than the Golf! Perhaps you can enlighten me there.

Also, cheaper does not mean better value for money. The Golf is exceptional value for money.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:29am
As opposed to ignoring the content and making stuff up that sounds good!

woody1946, Feb 12, 8:30am
Whats wrong with a Swift! our local dealer can't get enough of them to satisfy demand

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 8:31am
Anyhow, enough from me. I won't ruin this thread. If the original poster wants to go with the masses then thats fine. If they want to get a better car for their money then they are welcome to ask questions if they need to know more.

woody1946, Feb 12, 8:36am
thejazzpianomaPlease read my original question I want a NEW car in the $26-$30k price range and I can't find a Golf with the specs of the SX4 for that money. If I had more money I would consider a Golf

jsbike, Feb 12, 8:37am
as much as jazz goes on like a broken record on the golf etc, I have heard from my father that parts, panels etc for the suzuki's a are stupiudly expensive.

I think for this reson the neighbours 3 month old swift was written off. They hit another car (passengers side corner), it smashed one light, radiator support, slightly bent the corner of bonnet and a guard and pushed in the corner of the bumper. It did not set the air bags off and it was able to be driven home, insurance still wrote it off.