Jazz and VW's. Jazz you will remember the mint condition 2005 mk 5 golf i had bloody nice car drove well and in very origina

Page 4 / 9
thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 3:33am
You know. I could see you driving a Peugeot. or a Citroen perhaps.

woody1946, Feb 15, 3:34am
If you wave the chequered flag you have to pick a winner , then do a lap of honour Ha Ha Ha

taurus61, Feb 15, 3:35am
My observation was not about a Polo or a Yaris. It was about a Golf and a Corolla.
You keep moving the goal post when your assumption dont match the facts. The corolla is nearing the end of its model life the next generation may again become a leader,although this could be unlikely, if the new model Hilux and Hiace are anything to go by compared to previous generations.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 3:35am
Hmmmm nothing says a lap of honour like a lap in a Multipla.

carstauranga001, Feb 15, 3:36am
Victory lap complete, the crowds going wild, I won!

Goodby

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 3:37am
Well said!
I like how not only does he move the goal posts, then then accuses the other team of doing so.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 3:39am
Goodby carstauranga,
Wise to get going, its 4:39 you don't want to lose your 21 minute head start to get home.

vtecnet, Feb 15, 7:05am
I'vehad better reliability from Japanese cars over the years, but I now choose Euro cars anyway, I just prefer them, there isn't a logical reason, I just do.

I like the comfort of my E39 Bmw and like the Golf VR6 for is big engine in a small hatchback concept.

Both cars are useless on Fuel and consume a good 13L/100k around town.

I still have one Japanese car, a 1987 Honda CRX with a turbo kit, despite being 24 years oldand making 2x its standard power on stock original running gear. its still had less repairs needed then my much newer euro Cars, the 24 year old Electric windows have never been touched and work fine. as does everything else on the car, but I never drive it nowdays and it just sits in the garage collecting dust.

ema1, Feb 15, 8:11am
I'll add to the quote more inefficient car with overall older technology.MORE RELIABLE by far.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 8:15am
And a typewrite is more reliable than a computer.

ema1, Feb 15, 8:18am
I don't know about the lessor job as being true, I reckon reliable job would be more like it.
I haven't had to lay out bugger all $$$ on repairs on most of my Toyota's.I say that being a lessor job is correct in the $$$ factor.lessor .actually next to no $$$$ to fix due to not needing fixed apart from the normal regular running maintenance has been the winning factor for me over many years.
I had a BMW E28 years ago and I couldn't believe all the niggly annoying silly things that went wrong with it over the (thankfully) short time I owned it.Best thing I ever did was get rid of the damn thing.

woody1946, Feb 15, 8:18am
Except the typewriter is missing an 'R'

craig04, Feb 15, 8:19am
Getting off topic me thinks.

ema1, Feb 15, 8:22am
Gotcha .Both are only as good as their operator.period!

akaniva, Feb 15, 8:27am
They aren't called 'BM-troubleyou's' for nothing! Dogs of things.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 8:27am
Funny. all these people worried about $$$$$$ yet they buy the car thats more expensive to run. Its highly unlikely a Golf will cost on average $500 a year more in repairs, yet the Corolla is GUARANTEED to use $500 morea year in fuel (assuming typical NZ km's etc)

If you are worried about the economics all that matters is the total cost of ownership.

This $$$$ for repairs argument is as weak as the "only the Japanese know how to make reliable cars" argument and the "I once owned a car years ago made by an entirely different manufacturer therefore VW's are going to cost more in repairs" argument.

craig04, Feb 15, 8:31am
True, total cost of ownership is an important factor.
But for some people, the "inconvenience factor" of having the car off the road more frequently is also something to be taken into consideration.
There do seem to be a lot of people on these boards who have experienced poor reliability out of some euro's. Not say jap cars are immune to breakdown, but the number of euro problems sure are disproportionate.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 8:33am
Sorry I have jumped back on my European computer, my Japanese one has two "W" keys and no "R".

woody1946, Feb 15, 8:36am
wweally !

extrayda, Feb 15, 8:41am
I like the looks of the BMW's etc, and have to admit some euros **seem** good value for money. The only problem from what I have seen (not having owned one admittedly), is that often the previous owner may have enjoyed the lower fuel consumption, longer service intervals (factory warranty.), but then is smart enough to sell it off for the next owner to enjoy the maintenance that would supposedly have been offset by the cheaper running costs :-)

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 8:42am
A sophisticated car will in general always be less reliable than a simple one. Howeverthe real world difference in reliability between a quality sophisticated car like a VW and a simple reliable one like a Corolla is so small its a non-event.

There is little to no "inconvenience" factor in the real world. To make a purchasing decision based on such a myth is in reality about as rediculose as buying a horse instead of a car in case there is a fuel crises.

What blows me away the most is the majority of people are so sucked in by this myth they go to great lenghs to get their Corolla but pay zero attention to how many km's its done, whether its been serviced and all the other things that are greater factors in reliability than the badge on the front.

jmma, Feb 15, 8:46am
And the V and the W are worn out on the European one (o:

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 8:48am
Speaking very broadly thats another myth. Car dealers love to make up stores about some mystical time bomb that magically makes European cars unreliable once they are X amount of years old.

The vast majority of the dozens of European cars I currently own and have owned in past have been older ones. Overall the reliability of these vehicles has been excellent.

The very few of these vehicles that I have had problems with have actually almost exclusively been the fault of poor buying decisions on my part. These are cars I bought site unseen and were not as represented. This is a problem that is of course easily avoided.

trouser, Feb 15, 8:48am
God really.

The Corolla uses a 2zr-fe engine mated to an aisin 4 speed auto.
100kw 6000rpm
174nm 4400rpm
0-100 11.1sec
7.5L/100km

Golf uses a r4 tsi caxa engine mated to a 7 speed dsg.
90kw
200nm 1500-3500rpm
0-100 9.5sec
5.9L/100km

Larger, lazier engine! more flexible!
Only if you have just traded in your morrie minor and haven't driven the Golf.

craig04, Feb 15, 8:48am
Well, in my experience, the VW I owned (2001 Polo GTI) proved to be quite problematic and the Corolla's faultless.
Yes I know you are going to say you don't recommend the Polo etc etc but it did come out of the amazing VW factory that produced such wonderous things as the MK4 Golf at the same time.