Cars of today with extra gadgets.

Page 1 / 2
tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:26am
How many of you out there own or are prepared to drive a car nowdays with no powersteering,powerbrakes ABSA.C,heater,windscreen washers,reverse lights etc.
My 1960 Vauxhall Victor has none of the above and also has drum brakes all around and no side mirrors,hazzard lights and no cambelt yay!

tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:26am
How many of you out there own or are prepared to drive a car nowdays with no powersteering,powerbrakes ABSA.C,heater,windscreen washers,reverse lights etc.
My 1960 Vauxhall Victor has none of the above and also has drum brakes all around and no side mirrors,hazzard lights and no cambelt yay!,not even a air filter,its got an oil bath.

morrisman1, Feb 15, 10:31am
Totally but windscreen washers are a good thing to have. The rest of them Ill happily live without. I cut my teeth driving in my 63 Minor 1000 and the only gadget that it had was a stereo and a crappy heater that might as well not have worked. No power steer or brakes, actually I prefer the feel of a non boosted brake even though you push harder. A gadget that I did need in that car was sound proofing, I have done a fair bit of soundproofing in the morry ute that is about done now but not enough to get rid of all the character.

tuttyclan, Feb 15, 10:39am
I have a good trick for windscreen washers, just squirt a bottle of water on the screen,just dont do it at motorway speeds lol.

morrisman1, Feb 15, 10:44am
I have shiny chrome twin jet washers on the morry ute and an electric pump. That ute has a few gadgets actually. Electric windows, LED interior light, stereo, halogen headlights, alternator, auto-off indicators, air horns, power assisted discs.

jason18, Feb 15, 6:56pm
I dont need a windscreen washer I took mine out. I just roll up to the mill street intersection pak and save Hamilton and get the cuzzys to wash it. I dont even pay em.

socram, Feb 15, 8:14pm
I thought washers were a WoF item.You don't need electric ones as the early originals were just a push button.

Wouldn't drive without exterior mirrors in NZ even though many drivers don't seem to use them.

jason18, Feb 15, 8:16pm
Yeah Mine are hidden on the valiant so i took it out and never been picked up.

intrade, Feb 15, 8:25pm
you cant buy a new car with no crap in new zealand. You can in europe, and they sell like fresh baked scons. We got one with only 2 airbags and abs. Only computer is for the engine and airbags, no electric windows aircon or powersteering or any other electronic crap.

ppika, Feb 15, 8:31pm
Thing I must have when I purchase 2011+ vehicle.
1.sunroof
2.side mirror indicator
3.smart key with Button engine start
4.bluetooth, ipod connectibility
5.reverse camera, parking assistant

jason18, Feb 15, 8:34pm
Why a sunroof I think they are pointless.

footplate1, Feb 15, 8:39pm
You don't need indicators in Auckland - seldom used.A bit like rearvision mirrors.

sifty, Feb 15, 8:46pm
you can stand up in them with your tata's out yelling.

ppika, Feb 15, 9:48pm
think again

sifty, Feb 15, 9:52pm
What is the point then, exactly.!

Is it to let the hot sun heat up the interior!
Is it to weaken the roof structure, and open it up to leaks and wind noise!

In a day when most cars have air con, they do seem a tad pointless.

vtecintegra, Feb 15, 9:53pm
I agree with jason18 and actively look for cars with no sunroof (not always so easy with higher spec models). Its just extra complexity and weight and worse still robs headroom.

esprit, Feb 15, 10:12pm
My car is a 2001 and has no ABS, traction control, no power steering, no aircon, no brake servo, no heated rear screen, wind up windows, no sound dampening. and it's just BRILLIANT :)

richardmayes, Feb 15, 10:17pm
I think it's unfair to compare vacuum-assisted brakes to trivial doodads like power mirrors, heated arse cushions etc. For the kind of driving we do now, powerful brakes are essential.

I had to drive the Triumph home from Auckland with no "power brakes" once, after the vacuum booster air valve around the pedal pushrod failed. You certainly get a fresh appreciation of how much momentum there is in a moving car, when you have to deliver all of the braking force yourself.

wasser61, Feb 15, 10:21pm
Just bought one for them that must be obeyed. pick it up tomorrow.:)

socram, Feb 16, 12:04am
Power brakes have a different master cylinder, so when the vac fails (engine off etc,) you are using an incorrect master cylinder.Same car without power brakes, but with a normal master cylinder, they are fine, which is why many racers dump the booster and change the mastercylinder to one with the right bore.One less item to fail.

Common misconception.Power brakes do NOT improve the brakes, they merely reduce the amount of effort required to activate them.

robotnik, Feb 16, 12:28am
Some cars had almost all of that stuff in 1960, especially cars for the US market like a Cadillac for example. All that is saying to me is your model is probably a base model Euro poverty pack.

vtecintegra, Feb 16, 12:35am
A 60s Cadillac wasn't exactly your average car even in the US - it was very much a luxury brand. Plus it probably weighed as much as a modern Landcruiser so you needed much of the power stuff (especially on the FWD models)

sr2, Feb 16, 12:42am
Only if the car is fitted with a Hydrovac (inline booster) as opposed to a modern style Mastervac.

jason18, Feb 16, 12:49am
Why not just tell me. I had a car with a sunroof. It only came in handy when I rolled my car and I ended up getting out of it. I dont intend to do that again.

elect70, Feb 16, 1:32am
I had a S2 SWB landrover with none of that everday transportno wind down windowsor lining or door locksno floor covering .Even slept in it 1 nightmiddle winter on desert road . Sleeping bag wasstuck frozen to the floor . By gum had it toughin them days.