Good reliable runaround cars

seven_e11even, Nov 18, 6:08am
After a good reliable cheap car to travel to work in, something good on gas and possibly manual, have $1200-$1500 max im willing to spend. Is there any cars out there that fit what im after, what would you recommend or do you have!

franc123, Nov 18, 6:14am
If you want something decent and reliable you are possibly going to have to up the budget a bit, $2-2.5K is going to get you a lot more choice in the cheap end of the market, prices have risen a lot in the last three or so years, a lot of the stuff people are trying to get a grand/1200 for is stuffed.Consider even moving into the 1.8/2.0 midsize segment, for not much more running cost better value for money to be had than what there is in the Corolla/Starlet/Familia/Civic/-
Pulsar market.

magicmat, Nov 18, 6:14am
Hmm reliable and $1500 max dont really go together. But if you are lucky, you could get a cheap Honda Integra ZXi which I used to have as a work car. It drove me from Tauranga to Hamilton week after week, was cheap to run and extremely reliable. Flew through warrants too. Though I think that was 2 grand if I remember right but it did have lowish K's.

poohbear011, Nov 18, 6:17am
something like nissan sentra/honda civic, both are common,cheap on gas and realiable, my sentra done 395ks and still runs mint

thejazzpianoma, Nov 18, 10:19am
If you think outside the square this can be done quite easily. I often buy cars in this price range.

Fiat Punto's are usually my favorite pick. No rust issues as they are galvanized, they are super reliable, parts are cheap and easy to get.

You are pretty much resigned to a manual transmission though and the driving position takes a little getting used to but other than that practical and lots of fun. You won't believe the economy and power of the likes of the 1100 and 1200 cc engines.

viking360, Nov 18, 5:56pm
I might sell my car soon,its a 4door 87 nissan sentra, really cheap on gas, $40 and i get nearly 3/4 of a tank, lasts me from thursday-thursday easy going to work and back.Its done 265ks and no problems in the 5months ive owned it.

the-lada-dude, Nov 18, 8:00pm
ford 105E anglia.

magicmat, Nov 18, 8:14pm
Reliable!!

poppajn, Nov 18, 8:31pm
'62 Morris Minor, not fast, but very reliable.

noswalg, Nov 18, 9:55pm
check my listing out! The car even lived all its life in palmy up until last year so surely it's meant to be.

bopbargains, Nov 18, 10:11pm
I had a 89 lancer Ibrought for$1200 @250,000k. had it for 7 years and sold it for $750 (this year) @ 425,000k. still going strong as fair as Iknow.also brought a st191 coronafor $1500 @320,000k. still got it after 5 years and has done 420,000k.

noswalg, Nov 18, 10:16pm
ahh yes the mighty corona, mine is only 1/2 way through its life cycle if that!

peek_a_boo1, Nov 18, 10:29pm
agree toyota carollas/coronasmazda familias are good cars.

grangies, Nov 18, 11:36pm
Which Mazda Familias, would that be!

One that has been kept in a sterile vacuum chamber, since the day it left the factory!