Do tyres that sit out side last long?

Page 1 / 2
yeahm8, Feb 27, 11:29pm
Just clearing out some rims and tyres off old cars I've had over the years and have found some 235 X 60 X 14 bridgestones.but they have had water sitting inside the tyre.they have been outside by the garage for going on 8yrs now.all though they look ok, would I be assuming that they wear with weather having been sitting under the elements for such a long time!.even if they were used as skid tyres.

paulap, Feb 27, 11:30pm
Maybe use them for burnouts but wouldn't use them on the road lol

bitsy_boffin, Feb 27, 11:58pm
Tyres degrade their composition over time ("dry out") and lose their grip and predictability.

I wouldn't use them on the road.

skin1235, Feb 28, 2:32am
and yet I used to buy truck tyres 40 at a time, and store them in the front of a shed so they were exposed to max sunlight
why!
cos I'g get an extra 20,000 km out of them as maidens and never lost a cap once retreaded, with a fleet of 16 tractors, plus 2 and 3 axle semis' with 2 and 4 axle trailers behind them 40 maidens would just about see the season out as my steerers ( fronts - maidens)

elect70, Feb 28, 3:25am
^^ so did Iwas told theyneed time to cure properly ( this was when they were made in Nz & fresh off the line). at least 6 months , but tyre people say no nowadays as little or no actual rubber in themall synthetic .

richynuts, Feb 28, 6:01am
Bet you wouldn't do that will a motorcycle tyre!

skin1235, Feb 28, 6:08am
why not, got at least 80k km from car tyres
be more an issue of riding like an idiot who thinks he's bulletproof - it's not a matter of having to be the fastest or the hardest, try being appropriate within the limits of your vehicle, staying alive has some benefits you know

quickbuck, Feb 28, 6:30am
All true, but I pay a lot of extra money for them to stick. and they are only expected to last a few months. Yes living has advantages, and I would hate to go by sliding into a wall. Yes, I race my bike. ON A TRACK.

skin1235, Feb 28, 6:36am
I'd never suggest using those tyres for the likes of racing, where you're pushing the envelope the whole time - living certainly has advantages - you pay for the compound and know it has a use by date, ride and take your life in your own hands accordingly
as a racer you would also be well aware that a harder tyre is perfectly okay if ridden with that knowledge

scuba, Feb 28, 9:26am
no harder tyres mean dead bikers

skin1235, Feb 28, 9:30am
only if they push it beyond the machines current ability
do you really think we have had soft compound bike tyres since bikes were first invented
no, there was a time when hard compounds were all there was, and they didn't tread from rim to rim either, they were almost as square as a car tyre - and we learnt to ride them that way - obviously without becoming 'dead'

quickbuck, Feb 28, 11:26am
Nope. Tyres that have "gone off" are dangerous at any time. You don't have to be pushing anywhere near the limit. They simply give no feedback, and when they let go, they are gone!
Motorsycles have changed dramatically since the early days. Notice the tyres are no longer the same size front to rear anymore! Also notice the front and rear are different tyres completely. This all helps. Bikes put out more than 12 HP too. Some are over 200! Even learner legal bikes are30, and can lap Manfeild faster than a 308 GTS Ferrari.
I would put it to you, that if you tried to keep up then you would indeed become dead.

cocabowla, Feb 28, 3:28pm
the compounds & constructions of truck tyres are totally different to car or motorcycle.
6 yrs of all weather extremes i'd be slashing them & dumping

kazbanz, Feb 28, 9:17pm
Sweeping statement that couldn't be more incorrect.
By your statement all racers should be riding on super soft or even wet weather compound tyres.All road riders shoud ride damp/cold weather tyres.
I would STONGLY suggest you go to The states and europe and explain this to the people who put thousands of hours into researching tyre compounds and construction.
Your view is incredibly simplistic.
An example being the dual compound rearstroud is using this year on the back of his race bike.
Can I ask --why if your view is correct do tyres come with a range of hardnesses and compositions even for our limited market -let alone the rest of the world.!

As for hard tyres killJeeze mon tell that to G billington -two years ago rocked up to the minefeild with 4 year old slicks and went out and wone every race.

kazbanz, Feb 28, 9:22pm
Again --overly simplistic.-Have you seen the racks of tyres in for example cycletreads! Those tyres are at times up to 2 years old from date of manufacture. Are all the bikers who use them dead!Bob Haldane used to bring in container loads of end of season tyres from europe (their summer /our winter) Again are all the riders dead.

skin1235, Feb 29, 4:55am
lol, what is this, pick on skin week!
where did I say I'd even try to 'keep up', I did however say ride to the ability of the machine
I also do not need to buy a new tyre every 6 months cos the old ones may have gone off, why, cos I don't ride them on a track, I don't exceed the speed. my ability, or the machine ability, I actually ride it in the manner the current setup will handle, sometimes I even drive at less than the speed limits, horrors I know, completely beyond the pale to most - but in the wet why should I push my tyres beyond their current potential to keep me off the tarmac, see I don't have to prove the tyre can or cannot handle the max rates inscribed by you or anyone else

mm12345, Feb 29, 5:07am
No - but they've been around a long time.I used to buy soft compound tyres for road use back in the '70s(I'm trying to remember what they were, Dunlop "red line" rings a bell, as well as some from Metzler and other brands).
I don't ride any more, but sometimes (over trusting) friends have thrown me the keys to bikes to go for a ride with the boys.Sure the bikes are better in every way, but the most significant difference is tyres these days, especially multi-compound ones, with very soft sticky compound on the sides, harder compound in the middle - so you can get the cornering advantage of soft compound tyres, but with reasonable life.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 5:11am
I'lltake your bet.

skin1235, Feb 29, 5:42am
I remember those days too, the lads who thought it was necessary to drop a knee on every corner, the ones that would redline in every gear between giveway signs or traffic lights
they would go and get the latest tyre with all the mickey tricks, made extrememly hard work of going for a cruise, and thats what I'm talking about, a cruise, not a race, not a marathon, not a cannonball rum from north to south in the shortest time
ask yourself this though, do you remember Joe Lett, Joe was pretty good on a bike, went to the Le Mans a few times, came home with good placings too, road in the upright seat on what we'd now call extremely basic tyres - and didn't kill himself or anyone else, those tyres were the latest in the day,
and today you'd say they would be a danger to ride on - point is they were not cos you rode to the setup not a dreamed up self ability

mm12345, Feb 29, 6:52am
Okay then.I plead guilty and beg for mercy from the court.We used to ride like freaking maniacs, andI was never truly happy unless I was at the front.The only time I had to relinquish the quest was when my girlfriend at the time was on the back.I had to be a straight-faced liar.Her father, who despised me with a particularly cruel vengeance, and was a large and fiery person with the temperament sometimes associated with those who live in climates where the weather is too warm, alcohol is consumed before 11, and people routinely shoot each other for reasons of honour.He never knew I even owned a bike, but I must have had the look.So I'd steal my mother's car to pick her up, and drop her back home after untangling her hair.Alive and apparently unharmed every time.
My lord, those were the days.
Miraculously, apart from a few compound fractures and loss of a few kilograms of skin and underlying softer tissues, none of us ever got seriously hurt.
Times have changed.The "boys" I knowstill ride with "enthusiasm". I've been there and seen it - FFS, I struggle to stay both last and alive.But they're also dropping like garlic prawns at a beerfest - it really puts me off reading the news.Most of all it puts me off ever owning a bike again - I could probably ride now in a responsible manner, but the roads are full of homicidal maniacs, lunatic tourists who automatically look the wrong way, and large trucks.Have I turned into a coward!

skin1235, Feb 29, 6:56am
lol, nope, you just finally realised life is for the living

quickbuck, Feb 29, 9:51am
Which one would that be!
You want to try and keep up on a Pre 72 machine!
See you at Round 1 of VMCC Then!

Not really saying you will become dead, as we are in the safety of a track.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 8:05pm
the bet being that I will die if I ride a bike round the minefeild on gone off tyres. if you want to be specific -Heck YOUR pre 72 bike with tyres you feel have gone off.
Would I post the same lap time as you! Almost certainly NOT (well for your sake I hope not :-) )But thats because its a bike I havent ridden before and because I'd be riding within the limits set by the tyres.
But thats not the point. The point really being that you are suggesting I will die or at the very least fall off the bike if I attempt such a feat.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 8:27pm
hey QB --this aint a personal atack or anything. You made a sweweping statement and I don't agree.
Truth be known I don;t even have the time to organise a frikken trackday or make it to an AMCC meetinglet alone get down for a VMCC meeting.
I can't remember the last time I did laps on the minefeild-t has to be pre 2007 nats

pdc1, Feb 29, 11:38pm
someone should have told Burt Munroe about old tyres.

At the end of the day the tyres aren't the cause in more than 99.9% of accidents. Good, sensible, competent, defensive driving, that is appropriate for the Road (not race track) are the most important variables. It is a total copout for people to blame an accident on tyres. They are merely using that as an excuss for their mistake by not riding/ driving to the conditions, or their inability/ incompetence to control their vehicle. It's a bit like hearing the statement that "the gravel road was at fault, or the wet road is to blame"

Guess what, different bikes and vehicles have different stick abilities, and the driver/rider can change this stickability again.
So we should ban all vehicles and bikes and use only the one that has the very best stopping distance!
No wonder we have so many accidents and deaths on the road when people use their tyres to the limits.

p.s. skin - you've got my respect from your posts here and the smashrod. We need more drivers on the road like you, and the majority of the other posters on the bus