Transmission flush, how often, how important?

Page 2 / 3
brokebloke1, Feb 27, 6:16am
these transmissions are a sealed unit ( no dipstick ) so they must be serviced every 80-90000kms we did ours when we bought it (AU2XR6)
it had 145000km and what a difference it made smoother changes and means better fuel economy cost $200 at Automan automatics CHCH

unbeatabull, Feb 27, 6:21am
Level is checked via removal of a bung instead of a dipstick, only difference being you have to be under the car to check the level.

rpvr, Feb 27, 7:13pm
My partner recently bought a Toyota Vitz import which had done about 95000k. I found a service sticker which showed the transmission fluid was changed at 90000k, which was great. But what intrigued me is that there is a notice in tiny print around the top of the dipstick, stating that changing the transmission fluid is unnecessary! Her previous vehicle was a Starlet, which she sold at around 240,000k with the transmission working perfectly, and that had never been flushed, I just drained and refilled it every 40,000k or so, which only replaces about 50% of the fluid.

friendly_prawn, Feb 27, 7:16pm
was just googling it and I came across this. Hmm, intersting!

When not to flush:

Before draining or flushing you should pull the dip stick and look at the fluid.If it is dark, burnt smelling, and you see little flakes or speck in it, DO NOT FLUSH IT.The fluid and transmission is TOAST, but the transmission just has not figured out it should die yet.In these cases for reasons no one has figured out yet, if you flush a transmission in this condition it will fail right away.Real strange, but that is what seems to happen. If your trans is in this condition just drive it while you save for a replacement transmission.There is no way of telling when it will fail.It might be today, next week, or next year, but it is doomed

unbeatabull, Feb 28, 5:52am
Funny you mention that. When the new SZ Territory was released and we went on our intro course to them, we were told the Trans fluid would never need replacing - its a lifetime fluid . Then once we actually got the product and looked at the service schedules it is every 90,000k (same as previous models) but has similar writing on the Dipstick as per your post . isn't the only car I've seen it with either!

And FP - Generally if the Trans fluid is dark but doesn't have bits of metal etc in it, it is still ok to flush/change. When it starts getting chunks of material, linings etc in it, then I'd agree, start saving for a new one!

friendly_prawn, Feb 28, 6:36am
cheers guys. still havent had it done.
Will get there lol.
Still havent made up my mind between the $180 and the $250 one.
The thing is Im not going to be owning it long term so am thinking of just being a tight you know what and going for the cheapy.
The $180 oil changes (cheaper oil) cant be too bad or they would have had a lot of bad publicity by now.

don_logan, Feb 28, 7:35am
Just find out what each one of the options are actually going to do for the money. I make it about $150 in parts to do a proper job yourself. Thats filter, gasket and putting around 12-15 lts through it to flush out the T/C. so I am a bit suss about what your getting for the $180 figure.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 7:57am
LOL, the old "sealed for life" transmission. It dosn't matter what car or what the manufacturer says it needs to be changed regularly. Many manufacturers have tried this and it often ends in tears. There are no "magic beans" the manufacturer can add to the transmission to stop the oil deteriorating over time and the filter slowly clogging. They all have moving parts and wear is accelerated in them all when this happens. You will hear many a lucky story about people who don't change the fluid and get away with it but that dosn't make it a good idea.

Your drain and refill every 40'000km isn't too bad a method. You should change the filter (where equipped) when you do it though. Even though you can't get all the fluid out it is certainly better than nothing and overall most of the fluid is getting changed by every second change which isn't too bad when you are doing it that frequently.

trdbzr, Feb 28, 1:36pm
I assumed this was common knowledge. Im suprised no one else brought this up. But yeah years back on these forums you would be told exactly that. I was told that the rule of thumb was, especially with imports, if its done more than 100,000km and you see no service sticker, then dont flush, just do a drain and refill. And if you see flakes of metal then don't flush, because thats whats keeping your tranny alive.

rpvr, Feb 28, 9:14pm
Yeah, funny thing with the Vitz is, although they say you don't need to replace the fluid, there is a drain plug on the pan!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 9:16pm
At least they had the brains to do that! Unfortunately the auto on the likes of the Citroen C5 does not. which makes it a right pain in the bum.

kazbanz, Feb 29, 12:07am
Actually I just have to add this regarding jap car maintainence.
The BEST time to have a look at a jap import is BEFORE the caryard grooming staff have got stuck in.
The japs don't put their service stickers on the windsheild like we do. They put them either under the bonnet or in the drivers door hole.
Trouble is groomers get stuck in and all those stickers end up on the grooming bay floor.

serpy2, Feb 20, 1:19am

daryl14, Feb 20, 2:00am
Oh no, friendly prawn is in the gallows.

splinter67, Feb 20, 2:29am
Bugger I thought he was back

desmodave, Feb 20, 2:29am
Do you have an answer for them John or just questions

newtec1, Feb 20, 7:03am
How many klms should a CVT do between a service.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 20, 7:13am
Not sure why people are bumping an old thread, but given this is a new question. It depends on the CVT. The only commonality is you don't want to miss or delay a service on a CVT.

You should be able to google what is appropriate for your car, some cars like the Honda Jazz should be done more often than the manufacturer says though so do a good bit of research.

johnf_456, Feb 20, 7:19am
Firstly don't name call, and to have answer an you need as much as information as you can get. Manual servicing is somewhat different from a auto or cvt.

johnf_456, Feb 20, 7:20am
Hes gone permanently I believe reading a thread a few weeks ago.

desmodave, Feb 20, 7:43am
Dont what(Or what ) What is this name calling your on about. Did your Fathers not tell you that sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you. If you had experience with transmissions you would have been able to offer advice on the different servicing requirements.That's assuming you have knowledge to share of corse and your not just feeling lonely.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 20, 7:46am
Oh goodie. handbags at dawn again!

johnf_456, Feb 20, 7:53am
Calling me john by shortening my trading name. Giving service requirements for every car is a waste of time until you at least have more info like make, gearbox type etc to help keep it short.

desmodave, Feb 20, 8:14am
Calling me john by shortening my trading name. I wouldnt get yaself to upset perhaps you could ask some1 for a hug. This waste of time you speak of, do you have a firm understanding of the concept .

jason18, Feb 20, 11:52pm
CVT if its nissan every 60.000kms