Impounded Car, how long?

Page 3 / 3
the_don_61, Apr 10, 7:25am
If you have a good storie you can get car back next working day.
E.G.working in a car panel and paint shop, Custmoers car, painter takes it home for weekend, it gets impounded.Its back at the panel shop monday lunchtime.

stevo2, Apr 10, 8:00am
If you let unlicensed driver drive your car, you get whats coming. If they dont have permission, report if as stolen and you'll get it back the same day. Then they'll get whats coming.

rose2004, Apr 10, 8:02am
What ifyou don't know they are unliscensed though, or you don't know they are driving your car. Reporting it stolen would be a bit drastic if it's still someone you know or a family member or something like that.

stevo2, Apr 10, 8:44am
yep but did they care when they took your car knowing they were unlicensed and what the consequenses might be. your car your call.

rose2004, Apr 10, 9:43am
quite possibly, but it was more the legal position that I was interested in, not whatever moral position you might want to take.

stevo2, Apr 10, 9:49am
OK, legal position is, your car is impounded for 28 days.

rose2004, Apr 10, 8:55pm
Thanks. Not my car actually, I was just interested in what seems like an inequitable situation for owners, when the owner hasn't done anything wrong (or certainly not knowingly).

smac, Apr 10, 9:34pm
Well yes they have - they have allowed the vehicle for which they have legal responsibility for (with regard to licensing and fines) to be used on the road by an unlicensed driver. The responsibility is on the owner to take whatever steps they feel necessary to ensure that the driver has a licence.

If that driver was to show you a licence or otherwise convinced you that they were licensed (when they were in fact not, that is, they mislead you) then you do have a defence for the impoundment and would be able to get the car back. However if you've just handed over the keys and have made no effort to determine if they have a licence then the impoundment will probably stand.

As far as 'fair', there's probably not much point in debating it here. However I don't see it as any different than you buying alcohol or cigarettes for a youth, or something else where a requirement must be met. You'd make some attempt to ensure they were entitled to receive the goods, so I personally don't see why checking a driver's licence is so out of the question. If they lie to you, it's on their head, but if you don't even check, it's on yours.

kwkbrk, Apr 10, 9:47pm
Yes they do, and I can and have proven it.
And, in comparison to what other countries ! How many have you lived in !
Do you lead a sheltered life or something, I can`t think for the life of me why anyone would make such a naive statement.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 10, 10:43pm
and from memory it cost between $350-400 to get your car back after the 28days up if you can't prove to get it out earlier. $150 for tow, the rest is compulsory rental of the parking space. when you do get out you may need to take with you a jump start pack incase the car battery pack the sad from sitting for so long unused.

jenny188, Apr 11, 3:50am
"on learners with all the eggy mates inside"

Not an impoundable offence.
tonyrockyhorror (1)1:36 pm, Tue 28 Feb #13

Could be. car full of eggy mates at Easter , could be a twist on the Grinch who stole Christmas story

flitt, Apr 11, 4:47am
Owner has grounds to get car back before 28 days if certain criteria are met.

Read:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/63/impoundment-of-your-vehicle.html

john26a, Apr 11, 5:33am
When then if you don't like it move and leave New Zealand.