Wiper blades that don't 'scrape'. Where from?

barrie2, Mar 1, 8:49pm
Ford Laser, blades judder and scrape unless pouring with rain. Nice to have silent 'sweep' - main dealers or !-thanks for advice.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 1, 8:55pm
It's not usually the fault of the blades but the screen. About 8 years or so ago I started using 'Philm Off' washer fluid with Rain-X additive and have not had a problem since in any amount of rain from extremely light drizzle to torrential downpour.

saxman99, Mar 1, 8:56pm
In the past I have found the problem sometimes isn't so much the blade itself but the arm it is attached to.The pivots on them seem to wear out which induces quite a bit of lateral play across the various parts of the arm, causing it to 'skip' over the glass and make that dragging sound.

floscey, Mar 1, 8:57pm
replace blade carrier .

bellky, Mar 1, 9:38pm
just get new ones from repco or anywhere

kcf, Mar 1, 9:42pm
Possibly try this first.

For most cars you can just rock into Repco (or similar) and buy replacement blades already fitted into new blade carriers.

Your problem may be the blade rattling about in a tired old blade carrier.

The good news is that it's a really cheap fix.Especially if you have a friend with a trade card, because there's a massive discount on those parts :)

therafter1, Mar 1, 11:09pm
As above a # of times, I don??

steve312, Mar 1, 11:22pm
Other problem can be if the actual arm has been twisted.Check that the blade is dragging across the windscreen rather than pushing across.The blade should flip over to drag each time the wiper changes direction.A quick twist with a crescent is often enough to solve the problem.

New blade holders do make a huge difference too.Everyone seems to forget that there are about 6-8 pivot points that are slowly wearing and creating excessive flex in the system.

dave653, Mar 1, 11:51pm
I changed my refills before last winter, from old rubber to new rubber. what a bloody noise! Quiet when pissing down, enquired about changing to silicone, was told it wouldn't make any difference. Tried Rain-X, arms are not loose, PITA when drizzling.

saki, Mar 2, 3:49am
Spot on and they last longer than the replacement rubbers.

supernova2, Mar 2, 7:41am
If the rubbers are new and noisey try turing them around ie top to tail, worked for mebut have no idea why.

andrewph, Mar 2, 8:00am
Try either bosch (from partmaster) or ac-delco (from a holden dealership). They both last well.

treachug, Mar 2, 9:54am
Yep, Ac-delco ones are good & replacement refills for them are cheap as well. Those cheap plastic backed refills are crap.

hijacka, Mar 2, 10:10am
Get Tridon replacement arms from SCA. TheAlcheapo ones are noisy

flack88, Mar 2, 10:43am
Found Wurth very good ,quiet and wipe well,but they perish in time ,because of real rubber in them.

barrie2, Mar 2, 10:47pm
Thanks to you all - problem sorted - REPCO get full marks, great discount on blades/carriers. (Never thought of carriers - and so cheap and easier to fit than just sliding blades out).

therafter1, Mar 2, 11:14pm
You will never bother with refills again will you eh . lol