Can headlight lens be fixed?

shuddupowh, Mar 3, 7:41am
Have just noticed the lens on one of my foglight on my E30 has a damn stone chip on it - peeves me off cos they were mint not got a chip. Is it possible for the people who repairs chips in windscreens to do the same with the lens! They are glass. I dont know ifyou can get just the lens, and the actual complete unit themselves are WAY expensive.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:45am
Heck theres no harm in trying is there. Ie I can see no reason why not as long as its wide enough to take the suction cup thingeethey inject the resin down

shuddupowh, Mar 3, 7:47am
True that. Just wanted to check if it was possible in anyway so I can ring them and not feel like a fool asking something thats impossible. Mind you, if they want the job they would probably do it! Has anybody had one done before! Only considering it due to the cost replacements.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 7:49am
Are ya actually in Hamyhole! only rerason I ask is the Novus\ chip repair guy in Auckland is a danged good bloke.

shuddupowh, Mar 3, 7:50am
Yep Hamilton.

a.woodrow, Mar 3, 7:56am
Small blob of clear silicone should do the trick to keep water out - provided beam pattern isn't affected

woody1946, Mar 3, 8:04am
Then get the plastic protector film stuck on the avoid more chips, actually, my Mk2 Jag lens are the original flat faced ones and one got cracked and as they are like hens teeth I had them coated which also allowed a WOF pass because the film is a seal

flybye_in_a_rx7, Mar 3, 7:55pm
yes. they do. some are lazy though and will say no cuz they cant be bothered. i had that a few times. and i found if you ask over the phone they just say no. it cost me $20 to get a piece of circle glass about 10cm in diameter. took 10 minutes for the guy to do. it wasn't a perfect job but i only needed it done for a wof.

for me it was either spend $20 to get the lens replaced or a new set of lights was going to cost $4700, which the insurance said they would write my car off if i went down that road!