Is a Peugeot 206

ayjay1, Mar 24, 5:33am
A good car for a student to buy. I am thinking about the cost of maintenance etc! Is there anything else she should be aware of!

mugenb20b, Mar 24, 5:37am
Cost of maintenance is about the same as most cars of that size. I have heard that some had automatic transmission problems as well as some minor electrical issues.

A good car for a student would be something that's simple, reliable and safe. So, I would be looking at a Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift and maybe a Hyundai Getz (manual).

morrisman1, Mar 24, 5:38am
I wouldn't. Too much risk for a person in a potentially vulnerable financial situation.As much as a jappa will be far more boring than a 206 I would recommend you look for a well maintained Nissan Pulsar (n15) or similar.

ayjay1, Mar 24, 5:49am
Demons would you please give some reasons for your answer!
Thanks for your comments mugenb20b

demons, Mar 24, 5:55am
electrical problems ,,have had a few cambelt failures interference motor so shit bends

carmedic, Mar 24, 5:59am
Very sound advice there.
Someone will be along in a minute to tell you to buy a Fiat Punto no doubt.
As mugenb20b said the cost of servicing will be very comparable to a Jappa but the price of repairs won??

thejazzpianoma, Mar 24, 6:02am
Good in manual, but as above avoid the auto.

Don't let the interference motor thing put you off. its pretty hard to find a modern engine that isn't and its only going to break if its not maintained.

I really like the 1.6, such a nice simple, reliable and economical engine to deal with. Not a big ball of fire power wise though. Very cheap and easy for a timing belt change.

The Citroen Xsara in 1.6 manual would be another one that may suit you well (same car mechanically) I have one of these. Also the Fiat Punto 1.2 from 2000 or newer is a good student car, economical, reliable and cheap easy service.

Fiat parts are a bit easier to get. Nothing wrong with the 206 for a student so long as its manual and you don't take it to some ripoff merchant for servicing.

whqqsh, Mar 24, 6:03am
hehe, ppl saying to buy something simple then mention several other cars that are also fuel injected, computer controlled, full electrics etc etc. Any modern car isnt simple anymore. Weve had several euros & had none of the issues (or excessive costs) that the scaremongers tout on here (although they were the wifes cars & the most unreliable she's owned was a Toyota Corolla, I prefer my dunnydores & 'coons)

doctor_evil99, Mar 24, 6:07am
ummm wouldn't touch it.I had a new peugeot before and lesson learnt

intrade, Mar 24, 6:32am
students should ride a pushbike as they cant afford to operate a car.

ayjay1, Mar 24, 7:32am
Not if they are Asian :-)

zephyrheaven, Mar 24, 7:33am
Cambelt replacement on a Corolla of the same era $299 at most dealerships / the 206 around $1000 at all dealerships

Jazz will be back in a minute.

carmedic, Mar 24, 9:41am
You knuckle dragging troll you!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 2:42am
Rubbish,
The 1.6 (as recommended here) timing belt is done in a few minutes with basic tools. The timing belt kits are simple and not expensive. There is no reason for it to be any more expensive than the Corolla. About the only thing I can think of is if you don't have a belt tension tool the garage may have to buy one. there is a Citroen only version available for about $20 online from memory.

Tell you what zeph, you book them in for $1000 a pop and I will consider flying down, doing the job myself and give you $100 for booking them in. I would still be looking at turning a profit!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 25, 2:52am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=VCe7r-Ke_wQ

Here is a video of the procedure for the 1.4 which is much the same procedure for the 1.6.

If a stealer wants to charge you $1000 just get it changed at any sensible general garage.

(Just had a quick flick through the video), I didn't notice the guy use a tension gauge. which he should. Also, I use drill bits to hold the Crank/Cam Shaft which may help if you can't find suitably sized bolts.

If a mechanic can't do that without packing a sad and charging silly money they shouldn't be allowed to work on side valve lawnmowers, let alone a Toyota or any other vehicle. The lack of skin on the back of their knuckles is nothing to do with them working on cars.

vtecintegra, Mar 25, 3:19am
Quite aside from any reliability concerns the 206 is just a poorly built car that doesn't drive anywhere near as well as the older models. I'd much rather look at a 306, at least they have a great chassis.