Spark Plugs getting Oil Fouled

Page 1 / 2
drew2009, Mar 15, 5:01am
Spark plugs are getting oil fouled quite badly on the electrode end of the plug, the spark plug tubes have new seals and the top end of the plugs are clean as, but they are getting oil on them on the electrodes. Funny thing is my honda doesn't smoke at all unless its a really cold morning and compression seems ok but have not tested. What can i do to fix this! TIA H22a Honda

dent, Mar 15, 5:07am
are all the plugs foulded or just paticular cylinders. How many kms and what year!

morrisman1, Mar 15, 5:16am
if they are all doing it then you could try going up 2 steps in the heat range. worked for me

drew2009, Mar 15, 5:41am
All of the cylinders. 180,000km. Not sure of year as dont have car here. Think its a 92 or 93!

drew2009, Mar 15, 5:44am
Some cylinders are worse than others but they all have it to some degree

mechnificent, Mar 15, 6:02am
Drive the car differently.
Change the oil grade perhaps.

mugenb20b, Mar 15, 6:37am
I would add some engine flush to the oil, then drain it, and use a different grade, say 15w40. Then, when the engine is warm, do a compression test and let us know the results.
From memory, H22A engine uses NGK brand, BKR5E-11 spark plugs.

intrade, Mar 15, 7:36am
2 reasons for that . either your valvestem seals let loads of oil in the chamber or your oil control rings let the oil past on the piston. if it smokes after driving down hill then it valve stem and valve shafts possibile worn = head rebuild. other one is full engine rebuild or bin the engine or whole car.

pettal, Mar 15, 7:38am
use Bosch or Champion plugs instead of NGK.

mugenb20b, Mar 15, 7:41am
No, don't!

intrade, Mar 15, 7:42am
um sorry but thats stupid advise oil on plug got nothing to do with the brand of plugs

pettal, Mar 15, 7:45am
please yourself - but have never liked NGK's anti fouling abilitties , real evident in single cylinder machines .

xs1100, Mar 15, 7:59am
try some moreys upper cylinder lube

mugenb20b, Mar 15, 8:09am
I found the opposite, I like NGK.

drew2009, Mar 15, 9:02am
I always use NGK. Dam good spark plugs.

drew2009, Mar 15, 9:07am
I will give that a try. Been meaning to buy a new tester for ages my old one got broken. Any recommendations for a good compression tester that won't cost me a fortune!

rmbimports, Mar 15, 9:09am
As morrisman said, go to a hotter plug, only I would try just 1 step first rather than 2. Engine with that amount of K's will be letting a bit of oil past the rings so a hotter plug will help burn it away. Also if you are running 91 you could try running 95 or 98 and see if that helps.

eddiedean, Mar 15, 9:22am
Al my life i have heard really bad things about hondas, from mates to mechanics i dont even know. Why are hondas so bad! is it just inferior engineering or people jumping on a bandwagon!

intrade, Mar 15, 9:22am
you have not heard about mitsubishis then have you!

eddiedean, Mar 15, 9:39am
lol them too. good thing toyotas and nissans are keeping us afloat

bigfatmat1, Mar 15, 6:26pm
Are you sure they are oil fouled not fuel fouled!
if you are I would check pcv valve.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

budgel, Mar 15, 10:32pm
I am wondering if you are still getting oil into the plug tubes and are getting it on the electrodes on the way out.

Take a plug out and shine a light down there and have a good look.

jenny188, Mar 15, 10:50pm
Motors smoke less than "in the old days". Its a bit like looking for a "Grey" tail pipe. no lead in petrol these days, so no grey. Top part of motor - rocker cover, cam area , which at one stage would show fumes , now has tube fitted from there back into the inlet side , so these fumes get re-combusted. Jap engineering :usualy by the time smoking is plainly visible is getting ready to go "bang". Try a compression test. If nothing else it will eliminate some options.

mugenb20b, Mar 16, 12:40am
You were misinformed then. I've had an old Civic, two Accords, one Orthia, and still have the Odyssey. The only issues I've had was maintenance items.

drew2009, Mar 16, 6:40am
Definitely oil fouled not fuel fouled. A mate said that also, i may just replace pcv valve as they are cheap as anyway. cheers