Are suzuki swifts good

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:04am
the newer shape 2004+ i think like the sport but not the price tag any other alternatives

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:06am
needs to be able to pas a car doing 100kph with ease and mainly rural and litttle town driving. cheers

berg, Mar 15, 6:19am
One here will say they are overpriced for what they are (even though he doesnt own one) and try to inflict a Golf or similar onto you.
We have a 07 Swift Sport and it has been awesome.
130,000kms now with zero breakages or problems. 5 sped manual getting 6.5ltrs per 100kms average while being driven quite hard some days (have the tickets to prove it) 83,000kms on the first set of tyres, brake pads still barely worn, 15,000kms between services and the most comfy front seats available in a supermini.
Quite roomy in the back too, have had two 6ft mates in there without problems. Yep, the boot is quite small but that has never troubled us.
The best testiment I can give.we are looking to replace it.with another Swift Sport. Going to buy one of the new 6 speed ones

msigg, Mar 15, 6:19am
Yes they are a good small car, one of the most popular. Can't go wrong if thats what you want. With a small motor It will pass someone at 100km on the flat. Up a hill you would have to floor it and it is not designed for that type of driving. You may need more power = bigger motor = more fuel, so those are the trade offs.

esprit, Mar 15, 6:23am
1300s are a little underpowered on the open road for NZ conditions, the 1500s are better. Manual is the pick since the auto is a hit dim witted at times. Build quality and finish can be a bit iffy on some, but better than a good deal of its peers. The sport is a cracking drive compared to its peers, however they've held theory value well so there are probably better alternatives in the used market for the same price.

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:27am
worth adding the ole supercharger to them and remus exhaust system!

berg, Mar 15, 6:28am
Actually I've thought of something I don't like about it, washing the 16 spoke wheels lol. Must get a nice set of smooth 5 spokes for the new one.

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:31am
jet car wast lol easy

wrong2, Mar 15, 6:32am
dont buy autos then

that goes for anything under 1800cc

little engines need manual control if you dont like puttering

berg, Mar 15, 6:32am
We looked at that for a Swift targa car. Not really needed for a Sport on normal road duties as they are a typical Suzuki, built to rev.
Still working on the targa car idea and a Sport would be a cracker. Funny how the Swift Sport cup in NZ and A us is taking off while the Mini challange fell over

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:36am
wash lol

inkapuka, Mar 15, 6:37am
aw yeah minis are not really minis anymore have to old skool to be a mini

woki, Mar 15, 7:01am
Suzuki build good cars !

thejazzpianoma, Mar 15, 7:19am
Fiat Punto of 2000 or newer is a better alternative. It handles better, the auto option (actually a CVT) is excellent, they are generally better featured, better on gas and much better priced. They also handle better too.

Other than the auto's being pathetic for a modern car there is nothing terribly wrong with the Swift. However its far from outstanding in any area and is indeed horribly over priced for what you are getting. This is also a concern as cars that offer little substance and that have held their value for a long time have to crash back down eventually. I think that time would likely be in the next few years which may mean you lose a lot of money over the course of ownership.

Drive a 2004 Swift and then hop into a $4000 2000 or newer Fiat Punto and it should be pretty obvious what I am talking about. For what you pay for a Swift you could actually even get into the next model "Grande Punto" which runs even greater rings around the Swift.

Also, I actually find parts for the Fiat are generally cheaper, especially if buying genuine.

You will find a lot of people that love their Swift but when you actually ask why you will generally find there is very little tangible support to their argument. That's becuase they are a product of marketing and fashion only. Just like with Brother Printers its entirely possible with heavy marketing to have a poor product but be supremely popular.

berg, Mar 15, 7:37am
And he didn't let me down. I worked as a mechanic for both Suzuki and Fiat. I happily own a Suzuki and have done trouble free for many years, I would never own a fiat. Chalk it up to 25 odd years mechanical experiance

trdbzr, Mar 15, 7:43am
You will now be promptly labelled a 'knuckle dragging troll' lol. That label Jazz applies to anyone who disagrees with any of his false drivel. Even if they are mechanics, car dealers etc who have had years of experience dealing with cars.

family007, Mar 26, 7:02am
I have a 2007 Swift, jap import. It is quite a peppy car even though it has the smallest of the swift motors (1232cc). The auto is great, so smooth. Awesome round hills, with little to no body roll (very planted). Big enough when the seats are folded down to carry a new dishwasher home, with heaps of room to spare.
Very economical, I travel on the motorway every day and fill up about every 3 to 31/2 weeks. 6.5km/l.
Heaps of head room and nice seat height, perfect for my old parents! (in fact since I got mine, my 73yo father now wants one!)
My poor swift is off the the panelbeaters tomorrow. Car got scraped by another car. sniff!
So in answer to the title of this post.yes
Suzuki Swifts are good.