Clutch fluid i think?

dasfi, Apr 7, 9:24pm
Just off for a drive soon, all fluids ok, ecept clutch i think it is!
little resivware on fire wall! clear, its not p/s or break fluid!
what fluid do i put in it, cheers,
1992 GTI galant

bellky, Apr 7, 9:26pm
If it doesn't say 'Use Only Dot 3' on the top use Dot 4 brake fluid.

intrade, Apr 7, 9:29pm
make sure first also brake and clutch fluid should be changed every 24 month also coolant of the engine. make sure it is the clutch as you do not want to put dot4 fluids in wrong places evenona mitsubishheap

intrade, Apr 7, 9:29pm
make sure first also brake and clutch fluid should be changed every 24 month also coolant of the engine. make sure it is the clutch as you do not want to put dot4 fluids in wrong places evenona mitsubishheap
thats a clutch master
http://www.jarparts.com/webvi/gkoautoparts/wwwroot/uploadfiles/pic/30610-1E410.jpg

dasfi, Apr 7, 9:30pm
sweet as, im pretty sure its clutch fluid if that sounds right!

bellky, Apr 7, 9:30pm
Dot 4 would be alright in '92 Mitsi brakes intrade!

dasfi, Apr 7, 9:32pm
yea mate the link yo put up thats it

intrade, Apr 7, 9:33pm
dot 4 is superior to dot3 they would have useddot4 if it has dot 3 written on at manufacturing the car but that fluid was not invented back then dot 3 and dot 4 are the same product basis brake and clutch fluids.

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 9:34pm
DOT 4.

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 9:35pm
reservoir

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 9:36pm
If it says 'Use Only Dot 3' you can also use Dot 4, no problem at all.

intrade, Apr 7, 9:38pm
ok you have to check it probaly got a leak on the slave cilinder now you can replace these usually cheap 25 to 40$ for new slave on common cars i buy my thing as local suspension and brake place . and if you cant get them then you can pull it apart and replace the rubbers inside solong as the boor is not damaged to bad rubber kits rebuilds are like 15$ thats what i paid for nissan safari 4x4 rebuild kit with rubbers years ago and prices of that stuff have not moved up since. Just got 4 new rubbers for my renault van for 13$
places to try for full part is partsmaster ask for trade discount.

dasfi, Apr 7, 9:39pm
sweet as cheers guys

bellky, Apr 7, 9:39pm
Ok. Castrol Response is the one.

bellky, Apr 7, 9:41pm
That's funny, I got a brand new clutch master (from BNT) the other day that said Dot 3 only - had to use Castrol Response in it.

intrade, Apr 7, 9:43pm
you can also try supersheep auto but i dont know if they can get itbut they are cheap as the slave cilinders unless they cant get em being a mitsi i suspect probably millions of mitsis have that slave on manual trans. you got to lift the dust cap of the cilinder to see if its got fluids in the dustcap if it does then you found where the fluids went and it wont get better you will lose the clutch completly if you dont fix the problem. master can also go faulty same thing check on inside of car where rod goes in to cilinder if you see fluids

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 9:49pm
It's like buying a car that runs 91 petrol "only". When in fact, you can use 95. DOT 4 > DOT3

intrade, Apr 7, 9:49pm

intrade, Apr 7, 9:57pm
similar thing is with auto trans fluids . dextron type D is the old superceeded by dextron3 you can put dextron 3 in transmissions like old 80s townace that say type D as well as the D fluids you should not however use D fluids if it saiddextron 3 to be used . also most powersteering on older cars just use auto trans fluid so it pays to check as trans fluid is sold cheaper then specific powersteer fluids. I run dextron 3 on my fiat tipo powersteering for example

bellky, Apr 7, 10:01pm
Castrol Response says:
"Suitable for all DOT 3 and most DOT 4 brake fluid applications"
Piston seal rubbers are made from differing compounds and using the wrong fluid could/can cause swelling and/or perishing of them.

intrade, Apr 7, 10:12pm
well i think we proofed enough that dot 3 and 4 is backwars compatible now dot 5 is another story that is not compatibile but you wont buy that fluid by accident anyhow as its price is loads higher then dot 3 and 4. your reference to damage will be to the dot 5 fluid engine oil and other fluids that can damage the seals of course it already hinted that it is compatibile with dot4 all there is is boiling point difference between dot 3 and 4 read my link.

mugenb20b, Apr 7, 10:15pm
Well, there you go. You can use DOT 4 in a DOT 3 application.

bellky, Apr 7, 10:17pm
No that's not entirely right. You can use Castrol Response yes. You can't use any Dot 4 though.

outbidyou2, Apr 8, 1:47am
ffs