Let Rego laps

quater, Apr 8, 6:55am
Hi I have a 1995 surf that I let the rego laps on, It has a cracked head. Just wondering if its worth fixing and getting back on the road and if so what will it take to get it re regersted. Cheers

zirconium, Apr 8, 7:04am
How long has it been lapsed for!

quater, Apr 8, 7:05am
A few months I guess Haven't checked. Whys that!

zirconium, Apr 8, 7:43am
Hopefully someone else will answer, with absolute numbers, but it depends on how long it has been out for as to how much it costs.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 8, 8:37am
Deregistered or just unlicenced!

intrade, Apr 8, 8:40am
becauseyou have to put it on hold within 2 month as you have to pay registration otherwise no matter if you used it or not. after 1 year it will automatic deregister and baycorp collection agent will come knocking on your door to collect 1 year full registration licensing fee from you . so it be a lose losesituation if you dont put on hold soonest.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 8, 9:01am
Exactly, intrade. If it's just unlicensed for less than 2 months it's FREE to put on exemption and you can do it online. Free and saves you racking up licence fees for an unused vehicle. What could be better than that!

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/LicensingExemption/entry.aspx

quater, Apr 8, 9:14am
Its deregistered ie 14 months

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:18am
From memory, its around $500-$700 to get it re-registered, including WOF and license fees.
That does not include any repairs required to bring it up to standard for re-registration.
What engine does it have!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 8, 9:20am
Well, that was silly, wasn't it.

kingfisher21, Apr 8, 9:20am
Not worth it, they will pick it to death when you go to get it re-vinned, sell it for parts.

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:23am
.or put a Lexus V8 in it to make the cost of re-rego worth it.
Or turn it into an off-roader.or sell it to someone to wants to off-road it.
Dont need to be registered in the bush;)

quater, Apr 8, 9:25am
1KZ-TEThink of going to a 1UZ-FE

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:29am
Yep.do it.

quater, Apr 8, 9:30am
Its in very tidy condition, Just some wear on the drivers seat, No dents or scraches that I can remember. Just the cost of it all is thats worries me

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:38am
New aftermarket head will set you back around $800 before labour and other part costs.

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:42am
How much would you want for it as is!

quater, Apr 8, 9:44am
Yeah but then it still wont handle the loads I carry. Plus I started to take the head off awhile ago and got so pissed off with the mess and everything in the way, I never went back. I've repowered every car I've owned. I was thinking of a budget of 4k but don't think this will be enough.

quater, Apr 8, 9:46am
Not really thinking of selling it I wont get nearly enough for it.
dereged and blown motor makes it worthless

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:50am
Budget around $1500 for 1UZ and trans etc.
Been done plenty of times, so heaps of info and parts out there.

jasongroves, Apr 8, 9:51am

quater, Apr 8, 9:53am
Haha Thats just what I've been reading, Thats why I think It will be over 4k

intrade, Apr 8, 10:29am
if it is deregod then its probably a waste of time as the engines are poo and if its manual it will also need a new clutch and flywheel as they all run a dualmass flywheel that needs replacing so the cost will spiral upwards real fast . it is scrap metal or parts only now.