Towing speeds for trailers?

planespotterhvn, Apr 9, 12:31am

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 12:32am
What about them! It's been 90km/h for quite a while now.

andrea_w, Apr 9, 12:35am
Is this a trick question!
I thought a max towing speed was common knowledge

From that website

* A light vehicle towing a trailer is limited to a maximum open-road speed of 90km/h.
* A heavy vehicle towing a trailer is limited to a maximum open-road speed of 90km/h.
* School buses towing a trailer are limited to maximum open road speed of 80km/h.

gunhand, Apr 9, 12:37am
DAM!And here I always thought it was 120kph plus.

ringo2, Apr 9, 12:38am
And the point of this post is!

planespotterhvn, Apr 9, 12:39am
Would it be safer to tow at the same speed as everyone else is travelling rather than encourage dangerous overtaking!

andrea_w, Apr 9, 12:41am
Who is encouraging "dangerous overtaking"!
You're driving, you're responsible for how you drive.

mothergoose_nz, Apr 9, 12:47am
what about when that car and trailer or boat passes me when i am doing 100.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 12:47am
No.

When towing simply keep left so vehicles can see past you and when someone decides to overtake add a little more margin for them by backing off the loud pedal. It's really very easy and considerate.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 12:48am
What about it! Perhaps you should stop slowing unnecessarily for bends.

jenny188, Apr 9, 12:49am
Hope not, most people travel from Picton to Blenheim at 65 kph on SH1. Worst stretch of road in whole South Island. On serious note old defensive course recommended towing with the flow , if you could do so safely, but the Law has the last say of 90 max.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 9, 2:19am
yup sounds about right. and stop braking before hills

tony9, Apr 9, 5:48am
Yes, not many people understand that the less time you spend on the road the less chance some idiot will run into you.The faster you go, the less probability of an accident.

taipan4, Apr 9, 7:23am
and less time on the road, therefore less time to burn petrol & so go fast use less gasaaahhh

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 9, 7:25am
Actually, that one works out about the same as fuel consumption is not probability based but work based.