Auckland motorway tolls

Page 2 / 2
smac, Apr 11, 8:13pm
Well no, not necessarily. Most (not all) other regions have managed to plan ahead for their growth. The local authorities didn't just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it wasn't going to happen, so their infrastructures are built to accommodate well in excess of what they presently deal with. Conversely, Akld has had a history stretching back decades of building 'just enough' to get by. 10 years later the pinch starts, so they build 'just enough' again. I don't envy those in the position of trying to clean up the mess that is Akld transport, there is no easy way.

richardmayes, Apr 11, 10:54pm
There's been multi multi millions spent on upgrades to Akl motorway system in the last ten years. There have been zero improvements to Karori Road in that time.

You and I both pay taxes; you get improvements to your (inadequate) road but I don't get improvements to my (inadequate) road, therefore I believe I am subsidising your road improvements. Sorry!

mgmad, Apr 12, 6:02am
That's fairly oversimplified. The truth is Auckland HAS been subsidising the rest of the countries roads for many years. Could South Island taxpayers have afforded the roading network there on their taxes alone! Highly unlikely. And it's not just roads - witness Wellington's waterfront upgrade, Auckland's only happened thanks to money from the America's Cup, not because we had marginal seats governments wanted kept happy. The taxes raised in Auckland are rarely all spent here.

And smac, it's fairly simple to blame the Auckland councils, and ignore the interfernce from central government. Over 20 years ago there were advanced plans for a integrated light rail and bus network which got shot down by Wellington.

freedomaira320, Apr 12, 6:07am
This is correct.

richardmayes, Apr 12, 6:32am
THAT'S fairly oversimplified too.

craig04, Apr 12, 6:44am
Has there been any improvements in the Wellington motorway network in the last 10 years!

I have lived in West Auckland for the last 15 years and have to travel down Great North Road every morning to get to the motorway and I can assure you that there have been no improvements there to minimise the gridlock either.

mgmad, Apr 12, 7:09am
Generalised perhaps, but correct.

socram, Apr 12, 7:55am
I have lived on the shore for 26 years.All we have had in that time is a reduction in access via the only road in the area that leads to the City or the motorway south.We now have the only T3 lane in the area.Not a lot of use if you drive a 2 seater.

Meanwhile, building in the area has rocketed, so there are even more people needing to use a single lane road.

OK I suppose if you live in the central corridor with a $43m busway, but not otherwise.I thought that Wellington had a half decent railway system!North Shore has no rail at all.

Rail costs are 24/7 but for about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week usage.Roading is a 24/7 cost with a 24/7 usage, which the pro public transport lobby seem to forget.

Last Birkenhead ferry from CBD on a Saturday night - 6pm.