Christchurch motorway - road condition

bunny2121, Feb 1, 12:00am
Long story short ive got a brand new car and notice on the Christchurch Southern Motorway steering wheel vibrates/wobbles quite bad. Car does have 20 inch rims on it and wondering if anyone else finds this with big rims on a car. Tyre shop I got rims from have had car back twice to fix and apparently took it for a drive and said it was fine.
My wife's car and other cars ive driven down there seem fine but they are on 17/18 inch rims. Id imagine any new car regardless of rim size should be super smooth on a road like that. Unless the motorway has a bad surface on it?
Anyone else find that particular road is not good on cars as far as vibrations go on bigger rims.

sw20, Feb 1, 12:27am
Are the wheels aftermarket? It is likely they are missing hub centric locating rings between the hub and the wheel. Or you have a wheel out of balance.

My RX-8 has 18" wheels stock, rides down that motorway very smoothly.

bunny2121, Feb 1, 12:34am
Yes are after market

bunny2121, Feb 1, 12:52am
The ring is there, but I can wobble it easy with my hand. Guessing it should really be tight?

pandai, Jul 13, 1:03pm
Might be worth checking the tyres have not gone out of round? The tyre shop would have checked the balance but might not have noticed this. What happens if you swap the front and rear wheels?