Toyota Egr valve cooler

bjmh, Apr 10, 4:53am
The local courier is having trouble with her 2009 Hiace Diesel,the engine light comes on and the engine drops all power.The van has gone to a local Toyota agent and apparently the fault is in the EGR valve cooler.which gets sooted up ! Toyota have apparently replaced some of these under warranty. Has anyone struck this or similar.Toyota are saying its because she stops and starts a lot .

intrade, Apr 10, 4:57am
x2
yea you need to run chemtech additive in diesel fuel or Würth Diesel additive and cleaning the Egr is normal Diesel maintainace just that the muppets probably got no clue that you have to do this. tdi vw T5 you got to blast for longer periods at high Rpm on motorway to clear the particular filters for example also

mugenb20b, Apr 10, 5:00am
Sorry, haven't heard of this problem, but is the correct engine oil being used! Just a thought.

bjmh, Apr 10, 5:01am
what sort of kms are you talking to service egr ,Toyota have serviced it from new.so i guess they're using the correct oil.

carmedic, Apr 10, 5:25am
The biggest problem with these particular filters isn't fuel its oil, they should run ACEA C3 but lots of people are still stuck in the past.
I service a few of them also used by couriers and similar with no problems as yet.
Intrades right they all (late model diesels) need a good regular motorway blast in order for the filters to regenerate.

r15, Apr 10, 5:50am
x1
intrade which brand of diesel treatment do you own shares in!

savanna71, Apr 10, 6:01am
OP states EGR valve not DPF therefore low ash oil and regeneration are not related. Full throttle blasts will also make no differance as egr doesnt function at Full load

happylad3, Apr 10, 6:04am
Not saying you guys are wrong, but he isn't talking about the particulate filter. He talking about the EGR. The later model stuff have a water heat exchanger on the EGR pipe. We struck this just the other day for the first time with a YD25 Nissan. When it was bought to us, you couldn't even blow air through it. So we put it in our acid tank and steam cleaned it 4 times before it was any where near flowing again.

intrade, Apr 10, 6:20am
we tell em about going for a blast as that would prevent a egr valve stick prematurely open as when it is stuck open then the egr cooler will sooth up real fast. its all linked they are not wrong when they told it is because of start stop . its all a chain reaction.

carmedic, Apr 10, 8:40pm
x1
Not so much stop start as excessive idling, because during idle the EGR valve is open letting exhaust gas flow through the cooler/manifold. Often (maybe but maybe not in this case) when combined with the wrong engine oil which gets into the cooler/manifold from the engine breathers.

bjmh, Apr 10, 10:16pm
cheers guys for helpful advice,i have a new diesel hilux and couldn't get any sense from Toyota as to what particular oil to use.Total were very helpful as to oil types etc.carmedic your idea re excessive idling makes sense.this courier does a lot of that,but i guess its a problem with modern common railengines! happylad3 thats what they are doing now to rectify .maybe spray and walk away will work .just jesting

gadgit3, Apr 10, 10:52pm
x2
EGR cooler on Hiace blocking up. Common on stop start light use. You need to remove the cooler and fill with degreaser to loosen carbon. Wash out with water and test. KENCO Heavy Duty Degreaser available from Super Cheap Autos is the stuff to use.
After cleaning you need to flow test with 1L of water it must flow the whole 1L under 20 sec. Clean carbon build up from EGR valve and good to go.
Castrol SLX 5w30 low ash oil can help lessen the fault.

gadgit3, Apr 10, 10:59pm
2012 Hilux 15w40 diesel grade oil is what Toyota NZ recomend.

carmedic, Apr 10, 11:48pm
Yes but not just any old 15w40 mineral oil.
Not all oils were created equal!

gadgit3, Apr 10, 11:53pm
Yea sorry CF-4, G-DLD-1
Should have added that bit

gadgit3, Apr 10, 11:58pm
But the part where you say they need a good blast down the motorway is not quite correct Carmedic in the case of the DPR filter the regen cycle starts every 120km and will only opperate at idle. once the throttle is pushed the regen cycle stops and will only start again once at idle. So this is the problem with stop start. it dosn't get a real chance to do it's job. But only the import Hiace run DPR NZ new is no problem

gadgit3, Apr 10, 11:59pm
And no Hilux runs a DPR

carmedic, Apr 11, 12:19am
Sorry we digressed, Intrade and I were not actually talking about the Toyota (more modern EGR in general) the vast majority of the Euro diesel both cars and vans (the ones Jaz loves!) only regenerate at sustained revs once at full operating temperature. The DPR filter needs to reach and maintain a very high temperature which is normally only achieved during motorway driving (hence the good blast). One of the main problems with them when used in city's is that they NEVER get to complete the regeneration cycle.
That said, I think we've all agreed the most important aspect with any modern diesel running any for of EGR system is the utilization of the correct oil.

gadgit3, Apr 11, 1:10am
Yea the Toyota DPR uses a flap valve in the exhaust system to build up temp within the filter. It's like a exhaust brake valve so can not opperate under load.
Was unawere of the euro DP opperation.

carmedic, Apr 11, 1:14am
Japs doing something better! Jaz wont be happy!

guest, Jan 16, 11:22pm
x1
Yep had this happen on my 2009 HiAce at around 60,000 KM, well I had the light come on and it doesn't drop power straight away so I scanned the code, knew it was a blocked EGR so safe to drive so I cleared the code till I got it to the dealer and they flushed the EGR cooler and all has been fixed for over a year now, probably will happen again lol.