94 twin turbo galant

cdjtrading, Apr 19, 10:56pm
hi i have a 4wd 94 6a12tt galant automatic, i was wondering if its pos 2 convert this to front wheel drive by removing the rear driveshaft! is that safe! will it still pass a wof and ive heard ill gain more power going fwd as being 4wd you loose a small amout of power dont you!

n1smo_gtir, Apr 19, 11:19pm
why not leave the drive train alone if it only saves you a small amount of power. instead concentrate on starting with maintenance (spark plugs, engine and radiator flush) tune up, then moving to upgrading your exhaust (steel extractors, straight through 2.5-3") and air intake (new panel filter if old one is dirty). those mods alone prob give you more power gain than making it FWD. With TT, appreciate the 4WD control when you go flying around the corners. just a suggestion from a car enthiusiasts. if you doing it for track racing or don't plan to have back seat passengers, strip out the backseat to save weight and put a roll cage, take out window electric motor and replace with manual winder.

edit to say: whether it's safe or not or whther it would pass WOF, i suggest you contact a LVVT certifier to confirm as essentially you are modifying the drive train and altering its ability to control the vehicle in a manner that wasn't prescribed by the manufacturer.

cdjtrading, Apr 19, 11:42pm
engine maintenance has already been looked after with over 3000 being spent on this car, the front wheel drive i had seen some1 else convert to and he was having good results from the car so i just wanted to know what other people who know there stuff about mitsis think of this, but thanks for your info on lvvt.

motorboy2011, Apr 20, 1:01am
I removed the driveshaft for the front wheels on a nissan stagea (transfer case was shuddering). It passed wof though he COULD have failed it if he wanted to. Removing the shaft made no diff to fuel usage so waste of time if thats the reson to do it. The 2 turbos and 6 cylinders are the reason it will drink the gas, not the 4wd system!

cdjtrading, Apr 20, 2:52am
mines not too bad on fuel- full 65litre tank i get 590kms nt to bad for a twin turbo i think,so you converted to rear wheel then! ive heard 70% of power gos to the front in a 4wd and 30% of power goes to the back so bye going rwd you dont gain anything maybee even lose just what ive heard so that makes me want to convert to front wheel more power in the front, and also have a shuder when selecting gears so im guesing the uni joints in the dshaft are gone or transfer case.

glenn_michelle, Apr 20, 8:13am
no you won't loose power by going to rwd,if you remove drive from the front wheels then all of it bar the driveline loss will go to the rear wheels and same goes for removing drive from the rear wheels.the only negative is the car wasn't designed to have all of the power through two wheels,it's the same as doubling your horsepower,things will start breaking

bubbles244, Apr 20, 8:24am
If you are dead set on making a perfectly good car handle like crap then the best way is to go and by a GLXI of the same year and change the rear suspension and frame over to a lazy axle rear.

Then use the FWD gear box from the GLXi and bolt it up to your 6A12TT. In doing this you can also do a manual conversion at the same time.

bubbles244, Apr 20, 8:25am
and forget trying to make a four wheel drive transmission split its power to either the front or the rear, all you will end up doing is cooking the clutches that controls it

bubbles244, Apr 20, 8:28am
then when you under steer into the bank and constantina the chassi you can take it home and put it all in the GLXI chassi which you should have done in the first place.

cdjtrading, Apr 20, 9:53am
thanks for that ill leave it 4wd then otherwise sounds like ill only have trouble

n1smo_gtir, Apr 20, 10:43am
Great idea^^^! If it was meant to be a FWD, i think mitsi would have done it in the first place to cut cost. i got the 6A13TT and loving the 4WD, i love taking the long way around the bend and still beat those taking the short cuts with the car firmly glued to the road. Go the VR4. surprisingly it drank less gas than my previous 94 Legacy GT Twin turbo.

steve98h, Apr 20, 10:48am
most mitsi 4wd are 70% rear drive.
o and if you change from 4wd to 2wd or visa versa the vehicle has to be certified

phillip.weston, Apr 20, 11:24am
Wrong. Most Mitsubishi transverse AWD vehicles are 50/50 split with a viscous center diff - that is it has the ability to lock up the center diff to a degree that not all power will be going to the end with the most loss of traction. The GTO/3000GT turbo has a 55/45 rear/front split but only because they use a Getrag gearbox rather than a Mitsubishi gearbox. The longitudinal models (ie Pajero) are either part time selectable 4WD with 50/50 split center diff (either locked or open).

hyphen, Apr 20, 11:47am
and the shuddering mentioned will probably be the hanger bearing on the rear 2-piece driveshaft