Help with mechanics please

marie196, Apr 17, 6:58am
I have a mazda familiar 1998 with 137 000 kms on the clock - should I get the cam belt done, or run it into the ground! It will cost about $700.00. Ta I am single female, so no idea

ninja_man, Apr 17, 7:00am
its worth doing. the car isnt that old, and still low k's

marie196, Apr 17, 7:11am
Thankyou ninja

intrade, Apr 17, 7:22am
has it got a cambelt post your numberplate so we can look on www.carjam.co.nz

alltorque350, Apr 17, 7:24am
Get some more quotes. That sounds a bit expensive.

mugenb20b, Apr 17, 7:27am
$700 for a cambelt vs new car.which is cheaper!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 17, 7:33am
I'm unfamiliar with the familiar.

steve98h, Apr 20, 10:32am
good little car, easy cambelt to do, would say around the $500 mark for cambelt, idler, tensioner and seals. best to get it done

cassandra13, Apr 20, 11:49am
definitely get it done. where are you based! i know of a very reliable, mobile mechanic whos rates are VERY good and he goes out of the way for his clients.

kazbanz, Apr 20, 9:56pm
Marie--if this isn't a P take thread then without question you must replace the cam belt.
just to explain--at the k's the car has done the cam belt could "break" at any moment(or last another heap of k's)
As much as I feel you should do tensioner w pump etc you could just replace the belt itself which should cost you around $300

pieman33h, Apr 21, 12:01am
and no one commented on the single female part! maybe a mechanic will do it for you in exchange for a meal and a few beers!

unbeatabull, Apr 21, 12:36am
They are relatively easy to do on these, any experienced Mechanic won't have much trouble doing it. Expect 3-4 hours labour + cost of parts, depending if you just do belt or tensioners, idlers etc as well can vary, but I would recommend at the very least to do the Belt and Tensioner if nothing else.

morrisjvan, Apr 21, 12:38am
It depends wether the belt was done at 100k or not !if it was it won't need doing but if it wasn't then get it done now.