Performance tire replacement on AWD car

n1smo_gtir, Apr 16, 1:46am
Ok, gotta turbo 4dr AWD sedan car. the drivers front needs replacing soon but the passenger front and the rears has plenty of meat on them. the front passenger is a dunlop direzza dz101 225/40/18 and so is the one need replacing. in terms of WOF is concerned, does the tire need replacing MUST match the tread pattern as the directly opp side on the same axis or is it only the size of the tire that matters.

say could i fit a similar brand tyre that's also 225/40/18 with similar pattern or no. if i can what would you recommend for a tyre that's for a daily driver that holds grip very well in both dry and wet condition but also handle reasonable well if i hit roadworks with lotta gravel from time to time.

I wouldn't be doing burn outs or track days like that.

many thanks.

a18a, Apr 16, 1:55am
I've never had WOF issues with mismatching tyres, as long as they where they same size & the pair had to either be directional or asymmetrical. I think the speed ratings have to be the same too

gadgit3, Apr 16, 1:59am
All correct but it's not the speed rating it's the load rating that needs to be the same or +-2

n1smo_gtir, Apr 16, 3:51am
so speed rating is like 91H/V etc and load rating how many KG per tire!

gadgit3, Apr 16, 3:59am
91 is the load rating and any letters after it is the speed rating in this case H/V is the speed rating

ceebee2, Apr 16, 4:56am
This extract is out of the WOF regs off the Govt site.

?

n1smo_gtir, Apr 23, 1:01am
cheers for that so going by this, i can either change the other one as well and get a pair of different brand and make or stick to same one. not that there's anything wrong with DZ101, might just stick to same one as the other tire has far too much tread to give up on. cheers everyone for your input=)

dolsen, Apr 23, 2:30am
Pretty sure that when they say tread pattern type, they don't mean the same pattern, but both are directional / non directional etc. You can have a Firestone and a Dunlop on the same axle, but they both need to be directional, or both non directional, if one is AT or MT, both have to be. They have to be the same size and within 2 for the load rating.