Which 4wd / suv

r15, Apr 24, 6:34am
lets see what the group can suggest.

currently have a 1998 Toyota Surf, Intercooled 3000cc Turbo Diesel. Auto.

prefer diesel, and i dont really care about what works out in the end better i like diesel and i feel better when i spend less at the pump. (even if im not really saving)

mostly used on the road, but also regularly needs to be able to go on and off tracks that require a good amount of ground clearance, articulation and reasonable approach and exit angles.not serious off road stuff, but a 'crossover' in most cases will probably be no good

needs to be double cab, - kids etc
needs to have at least as much boot space as the surf
will have roof racks with 2 heavy grade ladders and other things

cannot have a spare wheel holder in the way of the boot access

needs to be auto - too hard to eat, drive, talk on the phone, write a note at the same time etc with a manual

budget, not sure what i want to spend yet, $10-30k

2002 or newer hopefully

as a guide, the surf is pretty much ideal for my needs, but is getting on and time for a change, so things kinda like it!

cheers

andrea_w, Apr 24, 6:38am
A newer Surf!

r15, Apr 24, 6:39am
it's already the newest variety of diesel surf in nz i can find.

intrade, Apr 24, 6:44am
save some more 43 k gets you a amarok ute. they are almighty powerfull. just go for a testdrive in one. they are 1,9 and trust me thats enough cc for a vw diesel My tdi is 1,9 with 500nm torque and 160bhp

msigg, Apr 24, 6:44am
how about a double cab ute, nissan,vw,toyota,ford ect. Any would do.

intrade, Apr 24, 6:44am
save some more 43 k gets you a amarok ute. they are almighty powerfull. just go for a testdrive in one.

r15, Apr 24, 6:50am
yea, double cab's are an option,but they seem to cost even more than wagons for what at the end of the day to me is niether better or worse than the other. and im finding the ute's hard to come by with auto trans

intrade, Apr 24, 6:53am
why would you want a auto trans!

r15, Apr 24, 7:02am
as i said above, a lot easier to eat / talk / drive / take notes.

but also,
lack of clutch wearing out at around the km's of vehicles im likely to afford

manual gearboxes also seem to get notchy in a lot of vehicles at higher kms

autos im my experience are less hassle if you dont abuse them

useless people who cant manual can still drive me home when im drunk

auto never gets in the way of the cupholder

auto gives smooth power delivery at low speed on slippery surfaces (used as per above)

auto is less taxing to drive for extended periods with a load behind it - not constantly concentrating on rev range and changing gear.got tired of this in my manual 2.5 d4d hiace, or even around town constantly changing gear

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:21am
Urghhh.have you seen them!

mugenb20b, Apr 24, 7:25am
2002+.up to $30k.hmmm.

When it comes to value for money, dare I say it.a Land Rover Disco or Jeep of some kind is what I'd get. Unfortunately, a Prado is just too pricey for what it is.

ralphdog1, Apr 24, 10:36am
Only one option.Fiat Multipla.what else could compete!

msigg, Apr 24, 9:45pm
Hyundia sante fe! , may be too nice for you! Nissan pathfinder!

nightboss, Apr 24, 10:25pm
OP wanted vehicle with ground clearance, not one that belongs six feet under ground.

taipan4, Apr 24, 10:44pm
but surely some other regular poster on here no names mentioned will be around soon the Euro stuff can do ANYTHING,
120kph all day at 5l/100km off road blah blah blah LOL, wind up

clark20, Apr 24, 11:13pm
Santa fe are good, take one for a drive

inkapuka, Apr 25, 12:29am
He wants an off roader not a softroader a santa fe is like rav except Korean, Chinese pretty much ive never seen a santa fe with bull bars or mud tyres but seen many ravs used as farm trucks

jamie83, Apr 25, 2:10am
07 sorento! fuel efficent and was rated as tow car of the year and not bad offroad. plenty of low k auto versions in your pricerange
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=YGyvb8HajlA

steph1211, Apr 25, 6:43am
holden colorado

3tomany, Apr 25, 6:52am
holy crap no one has ever said that before

r15, Apr 25, 7:00am
anyone got an opinion on a 3.2l triton diesel!good! bad! gutless! gearbox made of butter or not!

aside from not being the best looking ute out

tazcsv, Apr 25, 11:53pm
A friend of mine has one and its a great ute, Great on fuel loads of power good offroad.