'93 Toyota Surf Rear Window Problem

chell_j, Apr 25, 10:22pm
Hi.I have a '93 Surf and lately the rear window has been playing up.It's all electric & I can't open the back door until the window is down but lately it just won't go down at all (only about 2 times out of 10 it will do it).It works going up fine, no probs there at all.Even if I've just put it up & immediately after try to put it back down, won't work.Anyone had this problem before!Any ideas what's causing it & if it is a big fix!I live prob 60-odd km from the nearest auto electrician & with 3 young kiddies it's going to be a bit of a hassle if I need an auto electrician to fix it, it's also a pain not having access to the boot space.Is it likely to be an expensive fix!Any help is appreaciated.Thanks in advance.

dolsen, Apr 25, 11:49pm
Does it work with the switch or the key! There is a known problem where the switch contacts get dirty and can stop the window going up and down.
Switch just needs the contacts cleaned.

intrade, Apr 26, 12:41am
its a knowen problem and not easy to fix. I got my one just working cleaning the guides of the window and vasiline on it helps and then you have to help it with one hand while you wind it up with the key.

intrade, Apr 26, 12:43am
problems are faulty switch in car . faulty wiring to tailgate, faulty reley controlling circuit and last water entering motor of windo winder and dirt in windo side where it slides up and down.

intrade, Apr 26, 12:43am
problems are faulty switch in car . faulty wiring to tailgate, faulty reley controlling circuit and last water entering motor of windo winder and dirt in windo side where it slides up and down.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml

chell_j, Apr 26, 1:24am
thanks.it doesn't work with either the key or the switch.can hear a clicking noise but nothing happens.I'll get it checked out.thanks again.

hfc2, Apr 26, 7:16am
some times if rear wiper is not secured in wiper holder they don,t go. I got one and had to replace a switch in rear door, they can cause issues !

intrade, Apr 26, 7:20am
its a nightmare system. i wanted to turn my one in to manual handle but you cant do that as no way to attach to motor and you be having a handle on the tailgate . dont know what moron that system engeneered at toyota probably the same who made the diesel engine designe new so they all blow up.

hfc2, Apr 26, 7:27am
yep intrade, why couldnt they have had a rear door like the cruisers! with us driving on dusty/ muddy roads all the time it is a real problem, i use graphite on the window to help the motor.

dansue, Apr 26, 7:53am
I think it will be the switch.My one started to feel uneven (rocked firmly one way and not the other),then it stopped going up totally.Fitted a second hand one from wreckers for $20.00

dozerman, Apr 26, 8:07am
Fixed one yesterday mechanism in door was dry as a nuns. motor had worn through centre of drive gear where widow gear touchs.Gear in motor was like a cock in a sock .Drilled out housing sleeved with steel bush migged up gear rough finish with grinder bit of lube all good.2Hrs.PS if you close latches on door locks while down , window will work