Toyota Surf 1993 SSRV 3.0 Limited Q re: seatbelts

chell_j, Apr 7, 4:35am
Hi
I've got the above 4WD and we're expecting our third child.We need 3 sash belts in the back seat, and I've heard with some vehicles you can get one fitted (instead of the standard two sash, one lap belt).Is this possible with my (beloved lol) surf :-) or do I have to look at buying another vehicle:-( !
Will have to check in later bu thanks in advance.

franc123, Apr 7, 5:23am
Not without making a major and expensive engineering and certification excercise out of it, no.Once you start altering seatbelts and/or their mounting points, or making new mounting points it opens a huge can of worms.Feel free to go and have a chat with a seatbelt installer or LVV certifier but I very much doubt its feasible.

chell_j, Apr 7, 6:35am
okay, thanks.thought it might be a cheaper fix rather than getting a new vehicle.Looks like I'd better start thinking about a new vehicle.

mchatchell, Apr 7, 8:54am
It's really hard to find anyone who will retrofit belts as they have such stringent compliance issues. Will you need the third belt while the baby is little or can the capsule go on the lapbelt with a tether strap! We have just changed vehicles to get the third full belt in the rear and it was a bit of a mission finding the right vehicle.in our price range anyway.

illusion_, Apr 7, 11:44am
Put the baby seat in one of the outer seats perhaps!

chell_j, Apr 8, 3:43am
doesn't really matter where I put the baby seat, I still need 3 sash belts in total.Other kids are 4 & 5.

chell_j, Apr 8, 3:47am
yes, I think initally capsule won't be a problem, but am thinking ahead so starting to look at options now.I think it's just going to have to be a new (used) vehicle with 3 sash belts across the back.
Thanks anyway.:-)

dave653, Apr 8, 10:46pm
Dads Teranno had 'issues' with surface rust around the rear belt mounts, the mount itself was a stamped piece of metal about 4" X 1 1/2" with two nuts tacked to it, then the whole thing tacked to the floor panel. Can't understand why there is so much bullshit over belt mounts when there isn't much to talk about in the first place. 50mm X 50mm X 3mm plate with a nut welded on should do the trick. like it used too!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 8, 10:53pm
Do you actually do any 4WDing!
This could be a great opportunity to get a vehicle that costs a fraction of what you are paying to run and has a reasonable level of safety.

smac, Oct 11, 5:12pm
It's not THAT much of a big deal. Definitely go talk to a certifier first - it'll cost upwards of $500 including the cert (plus the belt), but that's cheaper than changing vehicles.