1998 Falcon struggling to start. Electrical?

doomy999, Apr 26, 12:59am
Hi guys, I got a 1999 Falcon that is struggling to start. Started about 6 months back. Sounds just like its got a flat battery but it still fires up every time. Some times it will fire up like nothings wrong, sometimes it will really struggle like its got a flat battery. But then turn the key off and back on and she's away.

The other thing I have also noticed of late is when the starter did turn over properly it would start quickly. Now its slowly taking longer and longer to start.It now takes about 6 seconds of winding the starter over for it to burst in to life.

Im not sure if these two things are related.

Any thoughts guys!

doomy999, Apr 26, 1:04am
I rang pitstop and they reckon definitely electrical problem.I would have thought of it was fautly wiring then it either would or wouldnt go.
Faulty starter motor more like it dont you guys think!

thunderbolt, Apr 26, 1:14am
Auto sparky.

NOT pit stop!

Disclaimer: most of the pit stop staff are at the bottom of the skill chain. There are some exceptions of course, but it is auto sparky everyday work.

terry77.ta, Apr 26, 1:22am
If battery is strong,try another GOOD starter, sounds like a tired solinoid.

stevexc, Apr 26, 3:34am
Had similar problems in my EB2.New starter motor solved it

realtrader1, Apr 26, 5:35am
How many kms has it done!Could be worn str mtr bush/es.Could even be loose starter motor, though you'd usually get a noise on engagement.

fordkiwi27, Apr 26, 6:04am
hmmm somethings fishy with it for sure

unbeatabull, Apr 26, 6:04am
Quite common problem.

Clean the earth straps from the -ve on the battery to the chassis, and then the earth strap from the chassis to the block. Very common to get dirty over time and have a bit of voltage drop.

If you have a multimeter handy, put a voltmeter over the earth point on the starter to the earth on the battery, if you get any voltage reading over about 1.5V while cranking you have a dodgy connection or wire somewhere.

Otherwise, assuming the battery has been tested and is all ok, starter motor will be the next place to check.

pup2, Apr 26, 6:30am
As above, if not voltage drop/battery, pop the starter into the local sparky and get the commy cleaned up and undercut etc

sparkyz, Apr 26, 9:36am
See #3.

doomy999, Apr 26, 9:55pm
thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take it to a local auto sparky.
already checked straps and cleaned terminals just incase. seemed to help for a little while.Looks like some cheap starter motors on trademe with a warranty so might grab one of them if needed. thanks again everyone.

stabi360, Apr 26, 10:06pm
if you find the cause im sure bathurst would be interested as fords struggle to finish there as well

henderson_guy, Apr 26, 10:27pm
My ute did this, turned out the whole starter motor housing had split and was binding.

brokebloke1, Apr 26, 10:56pm
BUT they do finsh 1st at Hamilton 400, 2yrs in a row!

brokebloke1, Apr 26, 10:56pm
BUT they do finsh 1st at Hamilton 400, 2yrs in a row!
AND its fords with Will Davidson leading the V8 supercar series with 846 pointsso they do finsh!