1994 Toyota Hiace 2.8 diesel glow plug problem

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 10:46am
I'm currently working on the above vehicle, but I'm having a problem with having no power to the glow plugs (or the buzz bar). When you turn the ignition 'on', the glow plug light seems to stay on for a long time, and comes on again for a few seconds after the engine starts. The fusible link is OK, I'm getting power to and from it, and I've checked all the fuses, which are OK.

Would anyone know what else I should check! I'm thinking a relay, but can't find the damn thing.

flashgordon_nz, Apr 27, 11:07am
x1
aahhhhh. i think, they have the controller in the l/h pillar, behind the seat - where the radiator overflow bottle is on the later ones. pretty certain we had the same issue but with a 98. ended up just fitting a push button glower. the same shape, but with updated front end, had the controller behind the dash, behind the glovebox.

intrade, Apr 27, 7:34pm
yup or a wire is broken somwhere. Do you hear the clicking when the light on dash goes out 20 secound or so later the reley clicks normally thats what i wait for on my hiluxbefor i crank it.

intrade, Apr 27, 7:40pm
The light on dash is only a indicator, basically its bullox . like our 2011 dacia has a glow light on dash lol it is because they all have the exact same instrument to cut cost onpetrol-engine and diesmanufacturing.The light is on for a fixed time only has nothing actuarly to do with realtime glowing. Push button conversion is the cheapest option. other option is aftermarket adjustable glow timer.

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 8:30pm
Thanks very much, will check it out and report back. Unbelieveable where they jam things these days.

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 8:33pm
No clicking sounds that I can hear Intrade, nothing. I looked at another Hiace with a working system, and couldn't hear it either. Maybe I'm deaf.

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 8:35pm
Thanks Intrade, if I can't do anything with the control unit, I guess I'll have to fit an a/m device. This POS has done over 900 000kms too

On a different note.you have a Dacia.in NZ! Errr.how!

intrade, Apr 27, 8:36pm
x1
you are death ;) they all do it only on my tdi i cant hear it but thet dont needs glowing unless its 0 degree with direct injector engine.
dacia is my fathers car its in europe it is only left hand drive so cant be imported here or i would have shipped one over You also cant get any cars like that in nz with no electronics the only electronic that car has is obd2 for engine and emission. Dacia uk are releasing the duster

http://dacia.co.uk/

but i dont like that my self i like cars 60mpg or better.
i make a new thread about this again

mugenb20b, Apr 27, 8:39pm
I'm not deaf.the music was too loud in the workshop.