New ford falcon 4 cylinder

Page 1 / 6
casper35, Apr 27, 8:41pm
out in NZ next month. What a joke.

morrisman1, Apr 27, 8:43pm
It might be quite good, you obviously are only familiar with 4 cylinders from the 1970s

gunhand, Apr 27, 8:43pm
How do you know, its not even here yet or have you had a drive of one aleady!

casper35, Apr 27, 8:48pm
Being a ford person and owning a 2005 xr6 i cant see it being very popular with ford fans.

bellky, Apr 27, 8:51pm
It's a Ford Falcon. It'll be sweet. No joke.

jason18, Apr 27, 8:52pm
It might be all good. I cant afford one so will stick to my 6cylinder ones!

franc123, Apr 27, 8:53pm
Might pay to check the power and torque specs before embarrasing yourself again. I think you will find that this new ecoboost motor has higher output than the old 3.8 Commodore did at roughly half the capacity, it will go fine. Its going to be a great option for those who can't really justify running the 4L around most of the time. The 1000cc one that is going into the new Focus has even more impressive power and economy.

gunhand, Apr 27, 8:53pm
Hmmm, maybe not but perhaps there thinking outside "the Ford fan" and trying to get people who just want a car and have no brand preferance and dont waant a 6 or 8

tigra, Apr 27, 8:58pm
Side valve!

casper35, Apr 27, 9:15pm
Weighs about the same as the present falcon 1600kg

mantagsi, Apr 27, 9:55pm
It will be very interesting to see how it goes; I imagine that this car might even find a good niche as a more 'upmarket' company / fleet car perhaps! On the other hand, are these new eco boost motors too small, highly strung and overworked in their application or do you reckon they will be OK!

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 9:57pm
I think that ship has sailed already - as a fleet vehicle a Mondeo is probably still going to be a better fit.

a.woodrow, Apr 27, 9:58pm
What's the joke!

by_hdt, Apr 27, 10:01pm
Road tests indicate that its only 0.3 sec slower to 100 than the 4.0 with a massive improvement in economy, I have driven this engine in the Volvo S/V60 and Range Rover Evoque and its a sweet engine, bags of torque, and the instant the tacho hits 2500 its heads for the redline with fury, exhaust note isnt bad either.

oh, and I hate fours too, but this one is too good to write off.

200sx, Apr 27, 10:07pm
Whatever. Sure, it ain't going to quite have the mountain of torque that Falcon drivers are used to, but it will go reasonably well, and use a hell of a lot less fuel. This ain't going to be a 1.9 Starfire Commodore, the image of which is clearly stuck in your head. Good on Ford for having a go. They got no choice really anyway, but I think this EcoBoost coon will be ok.

gunhand, Apr 27, 10:13pm
And the motor comes from Spain, Whats that going to do to the ego of the Aussie is best brigade LOL.Peak power is 179kw so thats about the same as some XR6s.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 27, 10:36pm
You don't buy a 'Coon for peak power though.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 27, 10:38pm
Massive! Marginal. And, again, full throttle performance is not why you buy a 'Coon. You buy for the broad stump-pulling power spread.

gunhand, Apr 27, 10:44pm
No maybe not but it says it has very usefull power right off idle, and everyone likes to measure (anything) with biggest figure they can find, cause it sounds good. What articles Ive read about this car they say it stacks up quite well against the 6. And Jorno's like to rubbish things as much as they can if they can.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 10:46pm
Which is still (mostly) there in a modern turbo. Its won't be anything like a 90s TT Subaru in power delivery and still much torquier than a Commodore

gunhand, Apr 27, 10:48pm
Actually that reason does not apply a to why I have an XR6 at all.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 27, 11:03pm
In that case, I'm sorry you have a small appendage. Fire me through your email address and I'll forward you some of the emails I get offering pills to fix that.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 27, 11:08pm
It's all very well to say that about a brand new car but I cannot envisage it being anywhere near as durable as the IL6. They already drop like a stone in depreciation with the six - the 4s will be much, much worse.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 11:10pm
If real world economy turns out to be as (comparatively) good as the numbers indicate then they should depreciate far less quickly

gunhand, Apr 27, 11:11pm
If ya offering them to me, thanks but no thanks as like you I guess, I have enough of those in the spam bin so have a multitude to choose from if need be.
But its always good to see a TM member trying to help another members member.