Help!. How do you remove the circlip ring that is holding the outer cv joint onon a 1989 mazda familia

perry111, Apr 28, 1:35am
how do you remove the circlip ring that is holding the outer cv joint on,on a 1989 mazda familia!

dent, Apr 28, 2:07am
Why do you wana remove it! Theres not normally a need to remove it.

perry111, Apr 28, 2:18am
How do ya get the CV joint of the sharft then! lol it dosent wanna budge

a.woodrow, Apr 28, 2:43am
Brute force and ignorance

alan1111, Apr 28, 3:12am
To replace the cv boot is why or cv is noisey thats why.
Remove the boot back up the shaft, hold the shaft and beat the shit out out cv joint. Can be real stubborn sometimes. If that dont work remove whole axle shaft from gearbox and put in a vice then beat the crap out of it.And if that dont work which happens to me once or twice a year get a new joint and gas cut it of. Good luck.

perry111, Apr 28, 4:16am
Thanks we got it off now trying to put the littlle new b **** back on!

mugenb20b, Apr 28, 5:28am
That's easy. Make sure the cirlip is sitting right before hammering the new CV joint on. To make life easier, you can compress the circlip in a vice slightly before fitting it on the axle. Take care or you'll be doing lots of filing.

intrade, Apr 28, 5:32am
dont damage the ring and dont forget to fit the boot first. i have forgotten the boot once befor also that gets you swearing. Sometimes its a huge bastard to get the joints on with the ring shrinking un the groove so it wont damage. 2 people is usually best one squeezing the ring with s screwdrivers and then pressure on and a whack with a big rubber hammer or a wood and a mallet on stub of joint.

intrade, Apr 28, 5:34am
what ever you do dont remove the clip or it be larger then you want it to be and compressing in the vice dont works its just mishapes em and makes em weak when you have to open it up again to get in the groove. if its stuffed the ring then you got to use the new one supplyed with joint.

mugenb20b, Apr 28, 5:35am
Hey Intrade, have you proof read this before posting!

intrade, Apr 28, 5:37am
never proof read i do it after sometimes i guess do one can understand what i mean the C clip

mugenb20b, Apr 28, 5:38am
Nah.just squash the ends a wee bit, but not to the point of permanent deformation.

intrade, Apr 28, 5:41am
i hate doing cv joints geasy crap and can be a nightmare , had to grind a cv off a mitsubisheap magna once to get it off spent 2h whacking the crap out of it befor i took to the grinder.

a.woodrow, Apr 28, 5:48am
When I first started out in the trade I got quite a few in a row that had to be ground off. Got to the stage I thought that was the only way they came off and thought the boss was having me on when he said to try whacking it off first. Boy I got a suprise the first one that came off first hit lol

beast9, Apr 28, 7:27am
put a zip tie round the circlip tight line up cv joint then one good whack and its done cut zip tie off thats what and old guy showed me

unbeatabull, Apr 28, 7:32am
This is why I love our new stretchy Boot tool at work! Does CV boots in 5 minutes and you don't get all the problems off stuck joints and grease everywhere! haha.

They can be a messy job and an absolute pain in the ass to get off sometimes. I've never really had to grind one off though . normally a good swing with a decent hammer and punch onto the cage is sufficient enough to crack it open.

Be sure not to hit it too hard putting it back on, otherwise all the splines will deform and won't end well.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 28, 1:31pm
To remove, one solid blow to the back.

To refit, just hold the new circlip concentric with the shaft with some grease and one sharp blow will have the CV back in place.

a18a, Apr 28, 1:46pm
I must remember that one!