Mishaps/bloopers in the shed/garage

Page 2 / 2
ryans, Apr 28, 8:51am
I set my Fairmont project on fire when welding.
I have no idea how a spark flew so far, but I saw a flame through my welding helmet (thank god I had bought an auto dimming helmet, as it was between welds) and pulled off the dust rag I had over the hole, where I had removed the wind shield.

Just a bit of melting on the head liner, which you can't see, as it's black.

brokebloke1, Apr 28, 9:00am
20 or so yrs back ,working on a old cortina, welding on a new sill and carpet caught fire! we had a brand new Corvette sitting next to it guess which car got pushed outside to burn in hell!
mate still owns the corvette

neville48, Apr 28, 9:06am
was holding the base of a zenith carby in my hand trying to unscrew some really stuck butterfly screws, pushing like hell and the butterfly popped open and the screwdriver went right through my hand, hurredly pulled it out ,in a panic grabbed a rag off the bench that dad had soaked in turps for a job he was doing and wrapped up my stab wound and yippee, does that smart or what !

brokebloke1, Apr 28, 9:20am
young appentice was working in a spray/panel shop in Brisbane when a new falcon( ex demo) came in to get stone chips fixed on the front, after it was painted the young guy was cleaning the overspray off with thinners when,. he went off for smoko and left a rag soaked with thinners sitting on the roof of the new falcon! rag lifted clear coat and most of the base coat paint boss wasnt very happy! now the falcon needed to get roof repainted. This was back in the mid 90s

thejazzpianoma, Apr 28, 9:33am
Age 16, adjusting the boot latch on my Fiat 127. Closed the boot to check engagement and alignment. keys inside boot.
That's O.K though. I had a spare set which I used to open the boot again and continue with the job, closed boot again to check engagement and alignment. both sets of keys in boot.
*facepalm*

extrayda, Apr 28, 9:50am
This was a mate this time not me. He was working on his RX3 doing some welding (I think gearbox mount), The trans tunnel on the inside of the car (had no carpet) caught fire, so one of my other mates put if out by hitting it with his hand repeatedly.Melted paint stuff sticks nicely to hands :-)Was funny at the time (and did put the fire out).

h2oldragon, Apr 28, 10:20pm
Idiot home mechanic type drives his car up onto ramps to do an oil change. up ,up up and over the top. Car now sittting front wheels in the air on the chasis rails.

stevo2, Apr 29, 7:23am
Brother in Law drove his Datsun 120Y into my pit.

paulap, Apr 29, 7:36am
Car not supposed to start if not in park or neutral. Car started by leaning in window, car was in reverse, car goes backwards into another car parked behind it and pushed that car into the back of the shed.pretty well done I thought. Luckily with heavy chrome bumpers etc there was minimal damage.lol

poppajn, Apr 29, 7:48am
Apprentice I had in the early '70,s.
Asked him to putrego plates on a new Hillman Hunter. I went to check later and noticed he had drilled thru the front panel AND thru the bottom tank of the radiator, water leaking out round the self tapper,s Asked him to fix it, checked it, he had left the screw,s in and soldered around them.
Same dude drained a ptrol tank into an open container and left it there while he heated the soldering rod with the gas.
He must have came good, he,s been the service manager of a Ford franchise for many years now.

peacebird15, Apr 29, 7:50am
Where were your fingers to get amputated! Were you holding onto a compression gauge or feeler gauge!

net_oz, Apr 29, 8:06am
Needed to move the car forward a bit in the garage. Couldn't get the drivers door open very far so i start it and put in drive and tap the throttle with my left foot. Woops. Gave it a bit much and it shot through the tilt a door. Bent the door up and left a nice gouge up the bonnet and across the roof. Could only laugh at that one.

pup2, Apr 29, 9:39am
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't you keep the "left overs" from that adventure lol. Dave still talks about it

gunhand, Apr 29, 9:44am
Yes, I did keep the ends for a while to show and scare people lol, but after all that shaking etc in the formaldahide or whatever they use they started falling apart.