Looking to buy a Mitsubishi Legnum -What to look 4

Page 1 / 2
beki07, Apr 30, 10:06pm
After browsing trademe vehicles for the right type of car (4 door, lots of space - work vehicle), tow bar, roof racks (well atleast on some). I've decided on a Legnum.

It needs to be relatively economical due to Auckland traffic, so looking for a 1800cc, Manual (or possibly tiptronic), Tow bar (and extra plus if it has roof racks).

I've read up that the Cambelt should be changed every 100ks.

Anything else I should look at, regarding these!

Looking to buy for $2000-$2400. So its not going to be a perfect vehicle, they get up to $4000+

Just want to make sure its mechanically sound and find out what to avoid (what is a bad sign)

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 10:10pm
It sounds like you are looking at a 1800cc GDI motor!
type 'GDI' in the search box on the left and read all about them.

rob_man, Apr 30, 10:22pm
x1
What should you look for! Something else perhaps!

beki07, Apr 30, 10:38pm
Is their a reason why I should look at a different vehicle! I have a small list of suitable vehicles I like, but prefer the Legnum over all.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 30, 10:43pm
Only thing really important about GDI motor is you should be using 95, but idealy 98 octane fuel as 91 tends to clog up the GDI.

My MIL just got an airtrek 2003 2.3L tiptronic GDI and chuck in 80 bucks of ultimate 98 fuel and got her from Rotorua to wellington no prob with fuel left over to drive around town for another day or so. it costed our 2001 nissan wingroad 1.5L auto nearly $90 on 91 to do the exact same trip and we have to throttle it abit to make up some of the hills where as the MIL's 2.3L GDI made it up no prob.

If you do get the auto, just check the tranny fluid, the cambelt cover to see label for when it was last done, check oil and water condition etc.

floscey, Apr 30, 10:43pm
a way out !

motorboy2011, Apr 30, 10:45pm
the GDI enine is a dog, find one with a non gdi engine, or look for a nissan stagea with a 2L NEO engine. would be a far better pick for reliability and room.

phillip.weston, Apr 30, 11:02pm
The Legnum itself is not a bad car for its age, however the 1800cc GDI engine generally has a bad reputation. The core engine itself is a vast improvement over the older model Mitsubishi engines, however they have a quite complicated direct fuel injection system which can cause issues. While many of them will be OK, there will be a few which will give issues and unfortunately it's tarred the entire range with supposed bad reliability.

The 2.0L (1996-1997 only) and 2.5L V6 engines Legnums with a 5-spd manual would be a much better bet - don't be put off by the larger engine thinking the economy will suffer - it would work out to be about the same over-all and it's a much better engine as far as reliability goes. The only added expense of the V6 is the cam-belt change which doesn't happen frequently and is only an extra couple hundred to do.

Even better still is an NZ-new 2.0 4cyl Galant wagon or if you can find one, an NZ-new 2.5 V6 Galant wagon. I've had both a 2000 NZ-new Galant 2.0 5spd sedan and a 1997 NZ-new Galant VR 2.5 V6 5-spd sedan and found the fuel consumption to be about the same - except the V6 was such a lively engine and proved to be very reliable.

beki07, Apr 30, 11:07pm
Thank you guys for taking the time to type that all out for me. Its a big help! I really appreciate it. Will start hunting for 2.0L (1996-1997 only) and 2.5L V6 engines Legnums with a 5-spd manual, a Galant wagon sounds interesting. Will check them out also!

wellyguynz, Apr 30, 11:11pm
How about a toyota camry ! Cheap to run and a lot more reliable

andy61, Apr 30, 11:39pm
Dont punish yourself with a Mitsi Legnum, a dog of a car,knocky front suspension (worn bushes etc),motors that drink oil,dodgy autos. Plenty of better cars out there.

helsbels2, Apr 30, 11:40pm
I have a Legnum but dh a mechanic who used to work at Mitsi and I wasn't allowed a gdi one. I still love mine 2.5 BUT it has never been nor ever will be economical.
Like Philip above he would have preferred the nz new galant version but I won and the price was right on the better looking legnums.

kazaral, Apr 30, 11:47pm
I had a 2.5 v6 4wd legnum. Never again. Do yourself a favour and avoid them like the plague. I would list ALL the problems I had with it but I don't have that much time here. However the big issues i had to deal with were: lower ball joint failed causing the left front wheel to come free and as a consequence of that destroyed the 4wd system (i am told the ball joints on these fail quite regularly), about 6 months later torque converter died about the same time the airbag controll unit died and had to be replaced.

phillip.weston, Apr 30, 11:47pm
Of all the Galants and Legnum I've owned I've only ever had to replace ONE lower control arm, and that was a car which the factory recall hadn't already been carried out on. However it is something I do make a point in mentioning when looking at Galants and Legnums - but I wouldn't call it a costly exercise.

If you go for the 2.0 V6 or 2.5 V6 you are getting the engine which isn't GDI and doesn't use oil unlike the 1.8 and 2.4 4cyl engines. The 2.0 4cyl isn't GDI either but is the same family as the 2.4 which tends to use oil, though it doesn't happen anywhere as early on as the 2.4.

If you go 5-speed manual then you eliminate any problems a tiptronic transmission may give you. The original poster said they were going for a 5-speed anyway so any issues with tiptronic transmissions is not relevant anyway.

So other than suspension bushes (which could wear out on ANY car), what exactly is wrong with the V6 and 5-speed manual Legnums!

nightboss, May 1, 1:19am
I agree with phillip.w's earlier recommendation of a NZ new Galant GLS Wagon. I had one of those prior to my current vehicle. Owned it from 12,000km to 175,000km, it never let me down. Has the tiptronic gearbox that is an automatic with the ability to be quick shift up or down, great when on hilly roads or passing. Good boot space compared to other 2 litre wagons of era and capable tow vehicle especially for low to medium loads, if you plan on regular heavier loads (above 250kg) in boot or towing often I recommend better rear suspension. Like any modern car you need to keep to the service schedule and do the bigger jobs as required (belts, all fluids, filters etc) and you will easily reach 300,000km.

klrider, May 1, 7:57pm
Id look for one with a Toyota badge on it.

n1smo_gtir, May 1, 9:40pm
I think the fielders are quite nice in the toyota range.

andy61, May 2, 12:38am
Dont think you will get a Fielder in that price range (2000-2400),you might even struggle to get a Carib at that price.

jason18, May 2, 12:59am
Toyotas are over priced.

floscey, May 2, 1:09am
didnt take long for the Euro plug did it.

a.woodrow, May 2, 1:16am
Well he's hardly going to plug a jappa when everyone else already has

motorboy2011, May 2, 1:36am
camry 2.2 wagon!

phillip.weston, May 2, 1:57am
The Passat is a good option but the boot space is actually quite small for the size of the car. I would compare the Passat space to that of a Corolla wagon rather than the larger Legnum or Legacy size etc.

icemans1, May 2, 4:43am
if it's GDI, DON'T DO IT - been there, done that

thejazzpianoma, May 2, 5:02am
Exactly! (thanks for pointing that out, its appreciated)
Also. the poster is needing maximum bang for minimum buck. that's where looking outside the square can be the way to go.