2002 BMW 330i?

michaelqian, May 3, 4:04am
Does anyone have one of these cars and would you recommend it! What's it like in terms of performance and reliability! Internet reviews have shown that it's a good performer but not too much info on reliability. Cheers

fiatracer, May 3, 4:26am
I'm guessing you mean the E46 3 series. They go VERY well, even in auto form. The E46 has a few common fault areas to look out for - cooling system issues [best to replace water pump and thermostat immediately as preventative maintenance], radiator problems, window regulator failures, and suspension bushes. A good independent BMW place can do a pre-purchase inspection, and I'd advise that. Find a good one and I reckon it will be a great car.

rsr72, May 3, 4:34am
Excellent car. Great performance, handling, and braking, very reliable.
One of the best engines ever put into any car.
Can be hard on front suspension bushes probably due to front weight bias. Have never experienced any problems with cooling/water system.
Small boot opening.

doriandarby, May 3, 5:12am
Agree with fiatracer regarding window regulators.Have replaced 3 out of 4 in our 2000 323 so far.Luckily I knowa tame BMW mechanic so all it costs me are parts (from trademe) and a box of beer each time.

foxdonut, May 3, 6:42am
They're a good looking car. I used to covet one with a factory skirting kit and aftermarket springs when I was parking next to it years ago.

They're getting a bit long in the tooth now, reliability is likely to be to the usual BMW standard which in my experience is "okay". Best to judge on a case by case basis.

Just remember, they were expensive when new, and the price of spares doesn't match the price of depreciative value. By now it'll probably be due a couple of 02 sensors and a good going over for wear and tear if you want to bring it back to factory standard or better.

haventrader, May 3, 6:56am
I have a 2003 model. I absolutely love this car. Owned it for the past 6 years now. Have not experienced any cooling issues, but had the waterpump replaced 2 years ago as part of a 110k service. Very good on fuel (for a 3.0l anyway), all the power in the world and comfort. Top that with a good looker too. I'm looking at replacing it with something "more practical", but having a tough time deciding what will give me as much driving pleasure, particularly for the money they sell for today. I'd recommend a 330i any day!

nosp, May 3, 10:17am
Great car, but can be a bit expensive to run

doctor_evil99, May 3, 10:20am
If you end up with it, this guy is very good in servicing - independent service not BMW dealer, he's in Grey Lynn
www.bmworkshop.co.nz

fiatracer, May 3, 8:10pm
and I recommend these guys in Hamilton: www.carspot.co.nz

tantric5, May 3, 9:09pm
I have a 330 motorsport and love it! Silver and black with carbon fibre bits.looks sharp. Been chipped as well.

Seat bolsters can wear through on the Recaros.

My radiator tank packed up so I replaced all that

Drives superb, handles very well, fairly grunty motor, enough to make ya smile

Im in it most of the day, every day and reliability has been impeccable.

Hop out of that car and drive others.then hop back in and you'll notice a massive difference in favour of the BMW