Help with buying tyres

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:03am
Hey all you motoring experts out there, i know nothing about cars and have to buy new tyres for my mitsibishi pajero, i have found some cheap ones with 4.5mm tread, i was wondering how long these would last. Also found these 462240614, and the last option is i had a reply to my add in my listing stating, "ive got a set of 5 and 4 of them are 31x10.5R15 thou but $500 for the lot ", are these suitable when i require 255/70R15! the thread is 4-5mm thick and are they a good deal for $500.i would buy new ones but can;t afford them on a benefit. thanks

mugenb20b, May 3, 9:21am
$500 for 4 or 5 tyres with 4 to 5mm tread. Now compare that with brand new tyres, which would cost say $800 to $1000 for 12mm of tread.

Which deal works out cheaper do you think!

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:26am
I didn't know how much tread new tyres have, so had no comparison, if you don't want to genuinely give me some advice i don't want to hear from you.Would love to know where you would get new tyres for $800 though.

irule, May 3, 9:35am
If you use the net or ring around you can find those size tyres for as little as 150 each for NEW ones.

cowlover, May 3, 9:37am

phillip.weston, May 3, 9:37am
and don't forget the legal limit for tyres are 1.5mm over 3/4 of the tread pattern, but ideally you would want to be replacing them around the 2mm mark. With 4-5mm of tread, you are really buying tyres with only 25% of usable life left in them. I say it's a bad deal - keep looking!

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:38am
Hey thanks, thats good, have rung around in the area and can't get lower than $250 around here.thanks though.Looks like the best bet is to buy new though.

phillip.weston, May 3, 9:39am
also hate to say it. but if you're on the benefit a Mitsubishi Pajero (or any large maintenance prone 4WD) isn't the best vehicle to own. if you can't even put tyres on it then I hate to think what other servicing (if at all) has been done to it.

mugenb20b, May 3, 9:39am
(*Facepam*) How am I suppose to know how long tyres will last on your car! I don't know what kind of roads you drive on, whether you keep an eye on tyre pressures or if your wheel alignment is OK.

New 4WD tyres have many different tread depths depending on the brand and type, from 10mm to 18mm or there abouts.

I used to get 4WD tyres, 31 x 10.5 x 15 for $200 a piece. I don't know who sells them these days as I no longer have a 4WD vehicle.

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:40am
thanks phillip and cowlover, will stick to new i think but only have $500 at the mo, guess i could buy 2 at a time

vr4_legnum, May 3, 9:42am
Are you sure you got the right size! Pajero are meant have size 265/70x15 or people change them to 30x9.50x15 or 31x10.50x15

You should be able to get a good set of new tyres around $800, Just ring around.

Change your tyre size back to 265/70x15

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:47am
So you don't loose sleep over my poor car, i am lucky to have a friend who is a mechanic and does all the maintenance, and thus far it is an amazing car that has had no major faults, the best car i have owned, so it purrs along happily, tuned and well maintained.well thanks for the advice people will leave it there, happy motoring

rassberryberet, May 3, 9:48am
thanks legnum will check when i buy the tyres, you guys have made up my mind between new and second hand so yah

woki, May 3, 11:24pm
I have a couple of pairs of 31x10.50x15 listed at $250 a pair . Buy mine !