41% FAIL on driving tests

Page 1 / 2
beblowin, May 4, 7:48pm
just how hard is the test now! anyone just failed theres, please let us know just how hard it is and what you failed for.boy I bet I will fail if I had to sit it again sounds really tough, lucky I have my full licence

berg, May 4, 8:10pm
Sounds like its finally coming right to me. For far too long our licencing has been far to lax and we have suffered for it with some very poor driving habits passed from one generation to another.
My driving gets re-tested every two years and that an even tougher test than the licencing test. I think NZ will be better for the tougher testing.

mar-mite, May 4, 8:53pm

mm12345, May 4, 9:02pm
It's 41% PASS on driving tests.
I don't agree that tougher licensing is the answer to improve road safety.Most serious accidents aren't caused by ignorance of the rules, but blatant disregard for the rules.
My son failed his test the other day because he was driving too slow.The car he was driving the speedo over-reads by about 8%,If he drove right on 50km/h, then he knews that he'd have had a good chance to fail if it drifted over 50 km/h on the speedo.So he drove with the needle at between 45km/h and 48, problem being that this is actually about 42-46 km/h.Fail - because he "could have" held up traffic.
It's a great system for the AA and their driving test guys - and they know it.

smac, May 4, 9:45pm
I dunno what the rant is about with the speedo, if being tested you stick the needle on the speed limit, cause that's what the instructor is looking at.

I think the tougher test is over-due, and now at the right time (restricted, not full).

The above comment about crashes being causes by ignoring rules, not knowing them is true, however, that's what the new test does - it tests your SKILLS as much as your road rule knowledge (that's what the theory is for).

davidgb, May 5, 12:06am
I just passed my full license test and I did not find it hard at all. Just have to watch watch my speed and keep on the look out for hazards. I did on, several occasions, went over the limit and was able to correct my speed before the TO noticed. The only comment I got from TO was that I was too cautious at intersections with give way signs.

noswalg, May 5, 12:39am
My boy told me a friend of his failed his restricted test the other day for the second time, the first time he turned up with an indicator out, fair enough the car was not up to a roadworthy standard. Now the second time he failed because he didn't go over a speed bump the right way! Apparently he should have gone over it on an angle (lowered car style) because going over straight could've damaged the engine, WTF is up with that! I would be appealing that all the way as well as questioning the ability of the instructor, although this is all hearsay and there could be more to the story.

smac, May 5, 1:24am
WAY more to that story. To fail on any one point you pretty much have to have an accident (your fault), or break the law.

noswalg, May 5, 2:48am
I agree, but if nobody is questioning the instructor (i'm sure some have a god complex when it comes to driving) and taking their word as law then I have a problem with that. And this "are unable to carry out the instructions given by the testing officer because of lack of driving ability" taken from here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/practical-tests/restricted-practical-driving-test.html Well they could apply that to just about any situation they wanted. I would think though that the instructors work is regularly audited to ensure they're getting it right

sr2, May 5, 3:21am
I would love to see the failure rate if we all had to re-sit our tests every ten years. I suspect many of the most vocal driving "experts" (myself included) on this MB would end up with red faces!

elect70, May 5, 3:26am
Nephew failedthetester said he didnt provide enough running comentary, supposed topoint out all possible hazards whiledoing thetest , like " p assing a pub better watch out for drunks staggering accross the road , or , i see joggersso better watch out in case adopey shelia runs out in front without lookinglike in that ad"

cuda.340, May 5, 3:28am
my dopey son, failed his test down in jafaland, drives up to Dargaville with his mate, (no licence either), passed the test & drives back! i guess the young ones these days know how to buck the system.

noswalg, May 5, 3:45am
Or just checking out their t!ts, could you fail for that

pollymay, May 5, 4:30am
What they look out for is stupid, I passed with flying colours but was criticised for commentating "like a car race, not like rugby"

Ummm, ok sir! Whatever the hell that means

next-to-normal, May 5, 4:41am
how safe is it to look in the rear vision mirror every 2 seconds, i feel a dizzy spell arising

beblowin, May 5, 4:46am
I wonder what happens if your speech impaired and only know sign language
you cant take your hands off the wheel to do that.

modie61, May 5, 4:52am
Would like to know if anyone has failed or passed their P endoresment FLT drive in the last fortnight, reasons for fail im interested in.

tara101, May 5, 5:23am
Check this website.
The two test are here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/photo/new-tests.html

neville48, May 6, 8:40am
Tougher test and higher failure rates just drives the double plus failures to not bother and drive anyway. Failing can be a lot more than not remembering statistics etc or bad recall, it can be nerves at the time, complexes, etc. there should still be an element of humanity attached to the whole deal so these younger, not criminal people, are not driven under by a money hungry system. there could be extra help for people in this situation so that licencing is set up to help people pass not just throw them out the door as failed and say come back when you've got another 85 bux. There must be a way to keep a balance ,not just a 41% rate.

smac, May 6, 8:49am
Agree completely, however what evidence do you have that anything other than keeping bad drivers off the road is happening! Has the number of unlicensed drivers gone up! Is there evidence there is a lack of support for people struggling with the test!

neville48, May 6, 8:51am
none at all as yet but i bet that history will prove me right, put a Tui on it .

shotgunkid, May 6, 9:37am
My son failed his full test because he didnt pull out onto a flush median after the traffic from the right had cleared, so he could then wait on the median for the traffic to clear from the left before merging. This was a busy arterial road at 8:45a. He told the tester that he didnt think it was safe to do that considering the amount of traffic, the tester told him he cant wait too long and hold up traffic even though there was no one behind him waiting to turn. Theres nothing in the rode code to say you must do it, it only shows what indication you must use. I rang LTSA licensing division and they didnt think it was fair, i'm putting in a complaint and asking for the fee to be reimbursed.

kaituna, May 6, 9:40am
I reckon Fairgo should have a look or get Target to send in some younguns with hidden cameras.

icemans1, May 6, 12:18pm
i ALMOST failed my test for not doing a 3 point turn - the road was wide enough to do a U turn (1981)

smac, May 6, 7:50pm
Did you see the test paper work!