Im sick of insurance companies

quater, May 6, 11:48am
When will they ever respect a certification as a god damn road worthy vehicle and not something that will no doubt cost them money or cause a crash. Simple lives they live. I hate having to split my cover to different companies all the time. rant over

klrider, May 6, 7:55pm
Certify what!they insure risk, and in general modified vehicles pose a risk, they are there to make money not generously insure anything.

tigra, May 6, 8:08pm
Not "in general" but MOST.

richardmayes, May 6, 10:01pm
They have probably made an assumption that your car is certified for modifications that have increased its performance and high-speed handling. are they right!

You probably think you've reduced the risk of a crash (claim) by making your car better than it used to be.

They probably think that you've made your car faster so that you can drive faster, brake and corner harder. thereby INCREASING the risk of a crash (claim).

martin11, May 6, 10:19pm
A lot of modifications on vehicles in nz are unnecessary and probably destroy the original handling qualities . Thats why insurance companies charge extra for modified vehicles

franc123, May 7, 12:47am
Yes, its especially cringeworthy when some noob decides to allegedly improve something like a MB or BMW with lowered springs, vehicles that are of course carefully developed for high speed handling and comfort by the best chassis engineers in the world. But hey some people know better.

rob_man, May 7, 1:01am
Which isn't to say the handling can't be improved, otherwise saloon car racing would all be happening with completely stock suspension.

richardmayes, May 7, 1:01am
Yes and no.

Plenty of big comfortable cars have soft floaty suspension that can really benefit from being firmed up a bit to make them more like the 'performance' models. Even good european cars are still just cars.

Slammed to the deck on 20" chrome mags and a set of superlow king springs from mag & churbro warehouse probably isn't a step in the right direction mind you!

n1smo_gtir, May 7, 1:17am
OP, remember you do have the option of either not insuring and save the premium into a savings account till you need it when you do get hit by a plonker with no insurance or you hit a expensive late model merc that would cost the bomb just to replace a rear view mirror or you can pay to insurance and put up with their policies and just pay the excess.or you can just insure as standard and save on all the hassles and risk losing not been covered for all the mods etc.

bill-robinson, May 7, 7:35am
do not understand the OP.s problem. I took out fully comp insurance on my project car before I even stared the engine. Still have to get a cert though.

quater, May 7, 7:47am
Tell me more! as soon as you change the engine form standard they don't want to know. there must be more to your story.

3962, May 7, 7:50am
Who would insure a modified vehicle! I would like to insure my V6 Hiace. for peace of mind.

aragorn2003, May 7, 7:51am
NAC is your best bet for modded vehicles

franc123, May 7, 7:52am
Not in the way they think it improves it, changing the ride height significantly throws all the geometry out and brings a whole lot of negative characteristics with it that are totally inappropriate for a road car.

3tomany, May 7, 8:01am
i have a highly modified xe falcon that handles just as well as my fgxr6 because the mods were very well done and the only problemmy insurance company had was letting my 17 year old daughter drive it but i said if i am out and happen to get drunk who is going to take me home so they agreed to insure her as well.

quater, May 7, 8:11am
I guess I need to talk to them rather than apply online then eh.

bill-robinson, May 7, 8:21am
Kit car, turbo engine,700 Kg. Mostly new parts, No problem,

quater, May 7, 8:25am
Is that a standard insurance company or something like club auto, NAC etc!

bill-robinson, May 7, 8:54pm
I deal with a broker and make it their problem. Simple, no insurance no profit for them, and I can go to another broker if need be.

kazbanz, May 7, 9:03pm
ACTUALLY -isn't the rule with the 2.0l class in europe that you can't change the look of the car.So you can replace say the whole wishbone,damper,spring arangement but only with better quality replacements.

rob_man, May 7, 10:31pm
Don't they also lean the engine back into the firewall to balance the car a bit better!