Falcon noisey tappet, then gone.

Page 1 / 2
doomy999, May 13, 11:59pm
98 coon, for about quarter of an hour the a tappet got really noisey and the car started running rough on and off. Then it dissapperared like there was no problem at all!
What gives!
Is that an idication that one of the hydraulic tappets/lifters is about to fail!

doomy999, May 13, 11:59pm
and yes, plenty of oil.

a.woodrow, May 14, 12:05am
Belky is awesome!

bellky, May 14, 12:08am
Aside the stupid comment above^, I'd like to know the answer too.

jason18, May 14, 12:08am
I have that in mine occasionally too. Been doin that for a long time haha.

curlcrown, May 14, 4:09am
Noisy tappets alone do not effect the way an engine runs. There is another problem there.

xpfairmont, May 14, 4:36am
Oil pump might not be working to well! How's the pressure! Has the light come on!

luxlby, May 14, 4:44am
It will be noisey and thengo away as the tappet turns

doomy999, May 14, 5:02am
oil pressure is fine.

doomy999, May 14, 5:03am
If a hydraulic lifter is not working,even if only temporarily, wouldnt that make the car miss and burn more fuel!

doomy999, May 14, 5:04am
so maybe its just something coons do now and again.

cheers jason.

ema1, May 14, 5:04am
I think taking a look at the condition of the camshaft lobes for wear and for a possibly defective/worn cam follower/lifter might be wise!
Something isn't right here, a hands on diagnosis is really required first hand .

bellky, May 14, 5:05am
Turns!

msigg, May 14, 5:29am
Give it an oil flush and new oil .

doomy999, May 14, 5:40am
Its running like a dream at the moment.So am going to wait to see when or if it happens again before doing anything about it.
Dont really want to start stripping her down if its not going to come back again.

doomy999, May 14, 5:40am
why, what would that do!
Besides, been done last week.

unbeatabull, May 14, 5:47am
Chuck some Pro-Ma into it. When they start getting to that age the lifters start to get a little noisy, just a fact of life really.

unbeatabull, May 14, 5:47am
Was the correct spec oil put back in!

a.woodrow, May 14, 6:20am
Nope I agree it was a stupid comment. Do you miss frank!

doomy999, May 14, 6:28am
this wasn't a common noisey lifter.
Noisey lifters dont make your car run very rough for a short time, then dissappear.

doomy999, May 14, 6:29am
I bet he misses being called bubsy wubsy.

skin1235, May 14, 7:41am
don't be quite so defensive, and try to understand what a lifter actually does

if the oil flow is interrupted or leaked( read lump of sludge under ball seat ) it will lose the oil it has - and become very noisy for as long as it cannot get or hold oil
then when it does finally get oil it may also get a dose of air too, this will actually lift the valve off the seat - (make it run on 5 cylinders ) until that air is displaced and any excess oil is leaked off
after that it will run as per normal, ie quiet and efficient

the fact it had an oil change recently could even be the cause of it, the new oil ( fresh load of detergent included) could easily have washed out a bit of gunk that has yet to exit the system to be picked up by the filter next time round

mrcat1, May 14, 7:57am
Just chuck a new set of lifters in it, quite easy if you have the gear. But as Skid says most likely because of oil change and disturbing something.

doomy999, May 14, 8:11am
Like wise I could say stop being so condesending, but I know that wasnt your aim. Just as my post wasnt intent on being defensive. Was just typing in a hurry.
In the old days, it was common for the old falcons, holdens etc to have noisey lifters from general wear and tear.From memory you could just adjust them, or on some makes.
Been a few years since I worked on cars.
So that's why I was alluding to, its not one of those situations.
Your post makes perfect sense and is more than likey the case here. Appreciate the comment skin1235.
cheers.

franc123, May 14, 10:29am
What oil filter was put on it! Don't use fram filters in those things, I made the mistake of using one on an EF once and after a week of cold starts and horrible noise for several minutes from cold from the lifters and possibly even the timing chain too it was binnedand a ryco used instead.Problem instantly solved.