Car stalled while driving, no dash lights.

princesspossum, May 11, 6:19am
had to restart it, and it seemed to restart fine.

Car is 95 honda civic, D15b. Seems to have trouble starting in the morning too but not sure whether that's a separate issue, the lack of dash lights sounds more electrical.

Any ideas!

Thx :)

mugenb20b, May 11, 6:21am
Check that your battery terminals are clean and tight.

ceebee2, May 11, 8:52am
Yep, either battery terminals are caked in white deposits instead of grey. Dash lights are another story.

edangus, May 11, 9:00am
How many keys do you have on your keyring! How much does it weigh (the keyring)! Quite serious.

princesspossum, May 11, 9:53am
Battery terminals are tight and pretty clean (will clean them tomorrow though).

Not a huge keyring, but probably around 8 keys plus alarm remote (as long as you're not taking the p*ss :P)

peanuteater, May 11, 12:13pm
theres a bit in the ignition switch that causes this fault on hondas, take to honda dealer=should be under 200 to fix.

skin1235, May 11, 5:16pm
meanwhile take all others keys and remotes off the keyring, put them in your pocket and only used the single original key, even better with no ring attached

the constant excess weight has probably stuffed the ignition switch beyond repair already, or you may get away with it for a couple more years

skin1235, May 11, 5:21pm
it will not be battery related

it will be the ignition system

it is effectively opening contacts internally due to wear
and this manifests itself just as efficiently as turning the key off

when you turn the key off and back on again to restart it you will close those contacts again, and all will be well until they open again

princesspossum, May 11, 11:12pm
Thanks for the info. Only had the car for 6 monthsbut not sure about previous owners.

I'm guessing the switch doesn't open completely! (car stereo was still going when it switched itself off).

edangus, May 11, 11:34pm
My very new Dodge does this. But also my old falcon, honda, toyota all did it. Old cars, worn ignition