Mid 90's Jeep Cherokee's?

saturn51, May 9, 8:41am
Are they reliable or something to keep away from! Looking at the 4L petrol's as I will need it for towing a car on a trailer around the North Island. Also do they have the gutts to do this!

cowlover, May 9, 8:45am
I wouldn't.

saturn51, May 9, 8:49am
Reasons why you wouldn't!

mugenb20b, May 9, 8:53am
When it comes to value for money, they are good buying compared to Jap 4WDs. They are very capable off road, good power and torque, but primitive drivetrain. Their only disadvantage is its monocoque body (no chassis).

zephyrheaven, May 9, 8:56am
Just be careful of some of the distances between fuel stops when towing with a Jeep. Ok you could always roll the trailered car off but.

cowlover, May 9, 8:59am
As above plus thirsty.Also although RHD some bits still lookLHD so clumsy to use.Best thing is drive a few and see if you feel ok with it.Don;t know but what's part supply and price like!

mantagsi, May 9, 9:23am
The engines in them are surprisingly tough, but as per previous poster, they are pretty agricultural / primitive, kinda like the harley davidson of 4wd's IMHO :)

haventrader, May 9, 9:45am
I had one for a number of years. Bought it just to tow the boat, but it did everything. Great off road, good on the road, if a bit thirsty - but it is a 4.0l straight six. Dollar for dollar I think they're worth every cent. Maintain the cooling system and it'll go for a long time. There are plenty of them around and parts are cheap.

saturn51, May 9, 11:31am
Thanks for all the info people.
Will try a few out before buying but just wanted to know if they are inclined to dump the trans etc all over the road without warning.Cheers.

franc123, May 9, 12:09pm
You are going to have to invest in extra cooling for the trans if its not already so equipped, yes.Its worth a warning here that many of these Cherokees are fitted with the same weak and ghastly auto's that are also believe it or not fitted to Isuzu Bighorns of the era and can be troublesome.

desmodave, May 9, 8:40pm
Bang for $ they are hard to beat.I had 1 for quite a few years then sold it to a friend who has done his best to wreck it but still going strong.

hi-ling, May 9, 8:48pm
Interesting that the jeep runs a Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatic trans and the Bighorn runs a GM 4L30-E transmission. I have owned several jeeps and hammered the crap out of them and never had any trans trouble. Had 2 Bighorns and the autos in them are crap