Car GPS Trackers opinion please

Page 1 / 2
thunderbolt, Mar 1, 10:26pm
Seems to be a variety of units availble at DX, which are the ones worth buying!Any of them have the geo fence!

charlie4561, Mar 2, 12:06am
These strike me as also being useful for keeping tabs on the location of your spouse or teenager. Anyone use them for this!

motorboy2011, Mar 2, 7:50am
id rather track their phone.

morrisman1, Mar 2, 7:58am
what ever happened to trust!

topzone, Mar 2, 8:12am
. http://www.jammer4uk.com/cell-phone-jammer-c-2.html
Looks like the GPS & Cellularsignal can be blocked, for much the same price as a tracking unit.

neville48, Mar 2, 9:09am
Butt for $66.00 you can buy a scanner unit that you scan the vehicle and it tells you if its bugged/electronically alarmed and where it is on the vehicle.hope you can still sleep well !

rachel46, Mar 2, 9:13am
try this mobile phone tracking then:
http://www.sat-gps-locate.com

sw20, Mar 2, 9:17am
I've got one I'm putting in my BC5. Its not so much the value of the car I'm worried about. Its the fact I can't just go any buy another dead stock NZ new one in reasonable condition no matter how much dollars I had to spend.

magoo2, Mar 2, 9:20am
If they steal a british car,you just follow the oil drips to find it

chevcamaro, Mar 2, 9:20am
pull the pin and step away from the car

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 8:36am
Ok so i noticed that on trademe there are all these in car GPS trackers that sell from $99-300, some incorporates alarm and immobilisers and some just a tiny concealable unit byself. seller says all you need is a prepaid sim card for it to work.

now my question is, has anyone bought one and used it! if so how effective are they! i know you can get $1000 ones and pay company monthly fee to monitor that that's not what i'm after. just wanted something that will alert me if my car decided to move from where i parked it, especially in mall car parks.

i am aware there are GPS blockers etc but it's mainly in event of opportunistic theives. rather than spending weeks trying to find where it went i could at least track it down. if someone can give me a head up of which one they had good experience with, cheers

saxman99, Apr 11, 8:49am
Yes they work. There was a thread on here a while ago with a link to a video of the poster tracking down his own stolen car to an exact address.When he got there he saw his car in the backyard and remotely triggered the horn to prove it was his. Coppers showed up and arrested low life thief.

msigg, Apr 11, 8:56am
Just fit a kill switch,

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 8:59am
oh cheers, will have a search for it. just wanna know which model works the best as there is so many on sale here.=)

motorboy2011, Apr 11, 9:00am
Correction, the car could not be seen on the property. The horn was turned on AFTER the cops arrived to give them good reason to enter the property without a warrant. Someone telling the cops "GPS says it's there" is not enough of a reason for police to enter the property without it becoming an issue when it goes to court. Even where the car can be seen on the property, it does not prove its your car, just one that looks like it. Activating the horn proves 110% its yours. Been there, done that.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 9:02am
i have that on the list too, 3 kill switches running off a transponder tag that's concealed well away from the most obvious place of steering wheel column area. just gotta find a competant auto sparky to do the job properly.

motorboy2011, Apr 11, 9:03am
trademe user "hijacka" sells the ones that were used to track the car in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=y6-o0S5TmIA

motorboy2011, Apr 11, 9:03am
trademe user "hijacka" sells the ones that were used to track the car in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=y6-o0S5TmIA

fordcrzy, Apr 11, 9:07am
that guy had a 170 dollar one. you just load it with a prepay sim card and your good to go.you can hook the remote relay to the horn or an immobiliser(or both) so you can arm it from your cell phone.

better than an alarm anyday

beast9, Apr 11, 9:19am
Listing #: 464091542 ive fitted these to taxis and they are great hook it up pop a sim card into it and away you go with a lil programing you can send it a text to kill the engine its an alarm to and you can ring it hang up it will then call you back and you can listen in on the mic

neville48, Apr 11, 9:19am
Kill switches galore dont stop someone winching it on a trailor or hooking it up to a towtruck and gone.killswitch and all.

fordcrzy, Apr 11, 9:25am
exactly. thats why the tracking device is awesome. that guy found his stagea just hours after it was stolen before it was raced/stripped.

bigfatmat1, Apr 11, 9:31am
I have done abit of research in to alternate options and I recommend a android phone with app like prey on it concealed under your dash with a usb charger wired in. Then it is more user friendly we could easily write a app so we could then utilise it to lock doors cut engine sound the horn operate stink gas into cabin through air con ect ect what ever you want and while still tracking it via gps

beast9, Apr 11, 9:31am
tho the ones i done only cost $90 odd from dealextreme.com with free shipping not 150

bigfatmat1, Apr 11, 9:34am
. which are identical to mongoose ones at $700 i have fitted a few of these they have good functions.