Car GPS Trackers opinion please

Page 2 / 2
mone, Apr 11, 10:25am
If you are going to get GPS system, you might as well get an alarm/immobiliser.One is after the fact, the other is a deterrent.Work well together.

Nothing is 100% bulletproof though. Remember that.

bigfatmat1, Apr 11, 10:49am
except a bulletproof tank!

hijacka, Apr 11, 11:07am
Thanks for that ''that guy''
To be honest trackers are good but don't see the need for a remote money is best spent on a ''decent branded alarm aswell,

n1smo_gtir, Apr 11, 12:45pm
cheers all, Alarm which it got is plan A, separate kill switch immobiliser plan B and GPS plan C. understand they can just tow it away but be good to find out where it got towed to as per that video. if plan C fail too, there's always the insurance company. it's hard breaking to see how many car enthusiasts have their ride pinched n not able to locate it when 150-180 bucks could've changed all that. even if the cops too busy to gimme a hand it wouldn't be hard to gather a group of people who had their pride n joy pinched to join me in recoverying it. who knows, they may just find that same theif might have got what belongs to them too. mags, steroes, some elses pride and joy that did not have a concealed gps. def be getting one very soon.

intrade, Apr 11, 8:18pm
post *20 the gps tracker gives you coordinates any gps map can pinpoint where the gps location is within 5 meter radius, my small divice works with google map and these alarms would work the same all you need is a exact gps coordinat and you can enter it on any gps navigation system to find its location.
this is what a txt from the alarm would look like for example
41deg .05.625 min N
90 deg 12.500 min W

fryan1962, Apr 11, 11:54pm
Kill switch wont find your car i it is on the back of a tilt tray

n1smo_gtir, Apr 12, 12:17am
sweet cos i got a windows phone 7.5 with google maps and always have broadband internet at hand so i could check up pretty quickly. was gonna use the GPS on my phone but there's really no decent tracking and alerting software for that OS. love the phone and couldn't justify spending another $300-$400 on a phone just for that when i could get a dedicated unit for under 200 which comes with aeriel for gps and gprs. just waiting for disposable income to pop in so i can make the purchase.

motorboy2011, Apr 12, 12:36am
the ones hijacka sells can locate 2 ways, one is you text it the word "address" and it will text you back the actual/nearest street address. The other is you ring the unit and it will text you back a google maps link. Your phone goes on the internet so all you need to do is click the link and your phone will go to google maps and show you where the car is.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 12, 12:41am
sweet, that's what i want. seeing that video showing between house 15 and number 17. if ya not blind, that's really accurate and obvious, with the chappy setting off the horn, it became blatantly obvious.

petermcg, Apr 12, 1:04am
Come see me if you like I have imported and sold quite a few of these.

craigsmith, Apr 12, 11:01am
Smart thieves will use easily and cheaply available GPS jammers, cos they know these trackers are popular now.

Of course obviously not all thieves are smart as the various anecdotes in this thread will attest.

But a tracker alone isn't much to rely on.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 12, 12:58pm
if alarm on car doesn't go off, i highly doubt they'd worry about owner installing a GPS tracker thus instead of the siren screaming it's guts out only to be ripped out, just make output straight to GPS which owner can activate horn when they arrive at tracked destination.

loose.unit8, Apr 13, 4:10am
My one from deal extreme txts the co-ordinates and speed etc and also a link which you click on (on your smart phone) and it brings up a map and pinpoints the location straight away - it's heaps easier

socram, Apr 13, 6:37am
I suppose it is narrowed down to why anyone is likely to steal your wheels.

Anyone nicking a Rover or a Corolloa is only going to want it to get home.

A decent classic, custom car, race car or high value modern is a different proposition, so the anti theft system has to reflect that.

The difficult area is possibly a decent 4WD that may not in itself be valuable, but could well be used in another crime and the same probably applies to Subarus!

My advice!Choose a British car, as no one ever steals them.

hijacka, Apr 13, 6:59am
The ones i sell do that. think they all do! Can you listen in on conversions happening inside the car with your one aswell!

loose.unit8, Apr 13, 7:06am
Yep.

I got another one around 4 years ago (gps/txt/alarm, the works - was about $400 at the time) which was like intrade's one - it only gave speed and position so you'd have to be by a pc when receiving the txt to be of any use (IMHO)

hijacka, Apr 13, 7:11am
What a pain! Good thing the ones these days sends a google map link directly to your mobile

thewomble1, Apr 13, 10:32am
The trouble with this type is to hide the aerials etc so the thieves don't click on there is a tracking device. There are others that have built in aerials etc so much easier to hide.

thewomble1, Apr 13, 10:34am
There is no reduction on your insurance premium if a tracker is installed.

fordcrzy, Apr 13, 10:44am
damn well should be.
look at that stagea case. the insurance would have had to pay out for the car$$$$$$$ instead they probably didnt end up paying anything. i would have thought it was good business to discount tracked cars

hijacka, Apr 13, 10:50am
Having a tracker is the insurance, i certainly sleep better a night knowing my pride and joy is properly secured

fordcrzy, Apr 13, 10:54am
i think the "ring fence" alarm function on those gps systems is a great idea for classics or cars not driven often. so if it leaves your section/area it will contact you straight away. great if your at work and its stolen during the week etc.