Toyota Corona 1995 Sell as is or fix and sell

littlespoon, Apr 11, 12:34am
We have bought a new car from a family member and now our trusty 1995 Toyota corona is surplus to requirements. It has a current WOF but at warrant and service in Feb a few things were picked up. I would prefer to sell as is (and disclose problems) but wonder if it would be more worthwhile to fix things and sell for a higher price.
So this is what was picked up: Rocker cover and distributor cap leaking, Left hand axle seal leaking, radiator top tank split.
Otherwise it is in good condition a few stone chips but no dents and upholstery is in good condition. Manual with air con and Cd etc.
Will having to do repairs put people off it a lot!
Please help.

doug207, Apr 11, 12:38am
I'd buy it for the right price, with or without the repairs.
If it's low KM and something like the gearbox is flogged, I'd stay away.
The repairs you've listed are just wear/tear items.

littlespoon, Apr 11, 12:42am
Hhmmm I don't think low kms 283000.
It is automatic and don't think anything wrong with the gearbox.
What is a ball park figure people pay.
BTW I am not going to sell on trademe.

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 12:53am
I would aim for $1000-1500 as it is. I sold a '93 diesel Corona with 240,000ish kms for $1800 about 8 months back. Though there wasn't anything wrong with it mechanically, it was just a little untidy around the edges.

shadowzz, Apr 11, 1:24am
It's worth anything from $500 to $5000 depending on kilometers and paint fade. If it's low kms it's definitely worth fixing before selling, when there are so many insane Toyota buyers out there.

3tomany, Apr 11, 1:43am
depending on where you take it those problems could cost up to a grand to fix and you will never recoup it with added value but sell as is and some handyman might be happy to fix himself for a fraction of what a garage will charge and be happy with his purchase

roddie1971, Apr 11, 1:55am
sell as is, you wont get back what you pay into and the buyer wont thank you for it

intrade, Apr 11, 2:30am
distributor cap leaking can be irrepairable when it is leaking inside on rotor. means a whole new unit and they are enourmosly expensive, so looks like 1$ reserve with disclosed problems, auto trans crap out at 450,000 on these. it is on its end of live by the looks Who ever buys this will need a spear car or plenty time at pickapart as you listed about 3 grand worth of repairs in your first post if all new parts where to be used.

musikcrazee, Apr 11, 2:37am
i sold a 1993 3sfe auto corona with 261,000km 3 months ago for $1800 but I had just had the cambelt etc all done to it. Like phillip.weston said id be happy with 1 - 1.5k

intrade, Apr 11, 2:41am
there one is a wrack mechanically they wont get that with no wof and to get a wof new distributor radiator and and probably had no coolant in engine also its 1$reserve candidatefor parts or somone to tinker with only value is maximum 600$

gadgit3, Apr 11, 2:47am
Tappet cover gasket in most cases you just need to tighten the 30mm nuts on the spark plug tubes and the leak is gone. the dizzy oil leak is a $2 o-ring. The half shaft seal is $35 + 0.7 of an hour
Radiator $120 for a new top tank $20 for a tank gasket and about an hour to rod out and fit up new parts. New coolant and bobs ya uncle.
I think throught our workshop you would be looking at round $400

littlespoon, Apr 11, 2:54am
It has a new WOF

intrade, Apr 11, 2:57am
then its worth 1000 to 2000 you will sell it for 1300 within days if its got a wof sell it as is. As if the rotor is leaking on distributor inside then it is unlikely repairable, I know i replaced a few outer seals and we hav had a corona leak on inside and faild to dismentel it or get a seal for inside

gadgit3, Apr 11, 3:00am
We have replaced a few of the internal seals for the dizzys on 3S motors the only difficult part is not smashing the drive fork. but other wise $12 for the seal and 0.6 of an hour.

intrade, Apr 11, 3:01am
if you where to fix the problems you could ask 2 to 3 grand but i dont think its worth unless you can get all parts cheap and do it your self.

intrade, Apr 11, 3:03am
where did you get the seal from as toyota said no seal only new unit for inner seal outer was like 30$ red viton seal easy to do . Outer is between engine and distributor sealing.

gadgit3, Apr 11, 4:31am
Got the seal from local seaal shop. Valley Bearings is the name

msigg, Apr 11, 5:11am
sell as is$1000 - $1400.

owene, Apr 11, 11:22am
Blimey what's the hourly rate of your local garage!

3tomany, Apr 11, 9:04pm
you could fix those things for 600 at a reasonable priced garage except for that distributer, now with that depending on the cause the skys the limit a writen quote is the only way op can be sure if they will profit from fixing first

3tomany, Apr 11, 9:05pm
sell fixed 1400-2000 with the higher number unlikely