1991 XR600 mechanics out there?

mrjaseracing1, Mar 31, 12:35pm
Seems to have lost all compression,didnt make any nasty noises when she died,was idling away then faded out on me.Just removed baffles from the road legal cobra silencer,pretty much doubled the power.and now shes dead,thinkin maybe valves!cant be rings/piston as its all just been done.well 100-200kms ago.Im stumped heeeeeeeeeeelp!

helpless, Mar 31, 5:26pm
So,,it was idlingand just died did it,,!.What does the kicker feel like when you kick it over,much compression or ba.Might be a problem with the auto mechanism that's on the cam,,"might be",,being a bit of a guess till I get more info.They do go bad on occasion though it seems strange it should suddenly pack up just after you got it.

You sure it's not just having gas trouble. If you opened up the pipe then the thing's going to be breathing different and will be leaned out without re-jetting.Shouldn't really expect to just swap mufflers around/pull bits off them and expect to not adjust the carb to compensate for the change.For a start put whatever parts you tore off the muffler back on and try starting it again.ie,,,eliminate the obvious

motorboy2011, Mar 31, 8:22pm
de-comp cable! disconnect that and then try kick it over, that will tell you if its got compression.

mrjaseracing1, Mar 31, 10:57pm
Hi mate,yeah i put the baffles back in last night,stil does not seem to be grabbing on the compression stroke.it was sold as a 1991,but from what ive gathered its actually a 1993,do they have auto de-comp aswell as the manual level!theres a strong click when it was getting the compression stroke,now it stil clicks but not on the compression stroke now!right side exaust valve.also need to find the right jetting settings for the open pipe setup,been diggin through the net forums to find this setup,but everyone has different setups for different applications

mrjaseracing1, Mar 31, 10:58pm
unhooked that first up mate,wondering if it being a 93 has auto de-comp aswell!hence the clicking noise

mrjaseracing1, Mar 31, 11:02pm
Also it was running strong before it was sitting idling then died,as it it would when you hit the kill switch.So unsure if it is the jetting,damn she sounded GOOD!for the minute or so haha

mrjaseracing1, Apr 1, 7:10am
Had rocker cover off,definatly the auto de-comp.solved.

motorboy2011, Apr 1, 7:13am
where do you ride!

mrjaseracing1, Apr 1, 8:00am
Where theres big firebreaks,im form nelson mate so most of my riding has been up there.keen to search out some new spots here though,not really into flat boring stuff.you!

motorboy2011, Apr 1, 9:36am
not much for the last 10 years, hopefully the old 200 will be going this week, got a carb coming from auckland. most of my ridings been through the twisty stuff in forests and plantations, which is where I plan on riding again, out by the waimak river

mrjaseracing1, Apr 2, 12:34am
Im always keen for a riding buddy dude.you got my email