Problem with supercharged v8 Holden

skyline_guy_r34, May 18, 6:19am
Bought a vy sv8 last week from a dealer. Is supercharged with cam, clutch injectors, air intake and all the other business. Was driving this morning and there was a loud irratically occuring clicking sound.

It sounded like suspension mounts clicking in and out of place on a tower mount. That explains the sound. but the sound only occured under acceleration or in gear. If i was driving along at 60kph in gear i could hear the sound. but if i put it in neutral the sound wasnt there.

Any ideas!

Its currently at the dealers but just wanting some heads up on what it could be.

mears69, May 18, 6:51am
exhaust leak or cracked manifold.

bubbles244, May 18, 8:21am
blown gasket on the exhaust manifold. if it was cracked it'd sound like a Ford 5000 tractor under load

skyline_guy_r34, May 18, 8:26am
But it doesnt sound like an exhaust leak at all.

clark20, May 18, 8:43am
Photos please, i would like to see it.

rayzor14, May 18, 8:58am
I too would guess at a manifold gasket.

Nice looking engine bay BTW

skyline_guy_r34, May 28, 1:32am
Ok heres the story. They contacted me. car isnt making sound. Ok keep it over night again and have another look on hoist tomorrow. Yeah still no sound, come pick up car and next time it makes the sound drive it straight in.

Made sound driving to work on friday. Drove home that night still making sound. Drove to work on saturday still making sound but not so prominent. Saturday night still making sound. Drive sunday evening and sound only happens 3 or 4 times over 10 minute drive.

Have discovered sound is in relation to wheel speed not engine speed. And that sound is coming from left front area somewhere. So narrows it down to axle, suspension, brakes, wheel area.

Sound is stronger when turning right and accelerating but not when turning left. (remember sound is coming from left front). Going for a drive soonish to see if sound is there or not. and off to dealers workshop if its there.

Any ideas what this sound could be!

foxdonut, May 28, 1:42am
You're 100% its not the diff at the back of the car not the front of it!

Maybe try this thread for some questions too:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/142179-commodore-cv-joint-strength.html

skyline_guy_r34, May 28, 1:45am
100% sure its not the diff. Definitely coming from the front left area.

Cheers for the link ill give it a read. Im a member of justcommodores and have spent hours searching and reading trying to find someone with the same problem.

esprit, May 28, 2:15am
Could it be a wheel weight ripping a brake calliper! Could it also be a loose pad rattling around inside the calliper. If it's rattling and goes away the instant you lightly touch the brake pedal, it's likely to be pad rattle.

snoopy221, May 28, 2:16am
Personaly for the few minutes it takes-i'd pull the driveshaft off and check the universal joints. Your description is more akin to a dry cross on a driveshaft universal-irrespective of where the noise APPEARSto be coming from.

alltorque350, May 28, 7:08am
The drive shaft has a rubber coupling, could be there.