The new Falcon

Page 3 / 4
friendly_prawn, May 20, 9:36pm
oh well, there will be other rwd makes for the die hard rwd fans to turn to.
I would have thought that it was a big part of the market for ford australia.
Guess not if they are going to ditch it.

smac, May 20, 11:05pm
Well it is.in Australia, but not for Ford globally, and that's the view they're needing to take. Not a good look for the international brand having to take government handouts in Aus because they insist on building a car just for them. They'll save millions (billions!) buy sticking to one line up of vehicles.

mokaubach, May 21, 2:59am
V8 doing 9L! Sorry sport, you are just dreaming now,I've owned plenty of V8s too, post a photo of your computer readout please.

sifty, May 21, 3:07am
Actually that should be just about possible on a trip if you are just chuffing along, unless you are one of those accelerator - brake - accelerator type of driver.

myjg33, May 21, 5:47am
9L out of a v8 is easy to get.i used to get that out my old 96 manual xr8 cruising at 100km.that was a tad under 2000rpm.injected v8s arnt that thirsty if you drive them rite.keep the foot down and they will skull back the juice like anything.

boss17, May 21, 7:45am
Jeezus is there a hole in your tank haha. I have an FG XR6turbo and I admit its mostly my wife that drives it but its computer history hasnt been reset for about 6 months and it sits on 10.2. I give it a good fang now and then but its always in the low 10,s. We had a BA XR6Turbo before that and it was always around 11.4 so new tech has made quite a difference but 13.6 in what Im thinking is an NA XR6 sounds real high to me.
The 4cyl Eco-boost is just another option for buyers to choose from. Hope it works out for Ford after doing all the work to set it up.

fordcrzy, May 21, 7:54am
the coyote V8 coule easliy do under 9L.
direct injection and add a supercharger along with cylinder cutting.

asa50, May 21, 7:59am
Open road I got 8l/100km easy in various big sixes, urban/city driving is where the big cars hurt, 13 to 16l/100km

zephyrheaven, May 21, 9:28am
thats not a falcon, looks more like a sparrow to me

unbeatabull, May 21, 9:31am
The new falcon will actually be more likely to be on the Taurus platform, the Mondeo will stay as a seperate car on the Fusion platform.

friendly_prawn, May 21, 9:42am
coyote V8! Is that the 4.6L Ford V8!

Did any of the alloy block version of these reach NZ!

unbeatabull, May 21, 9:45am
The one the FPV's use is a 32valve 5.0L, with a supercharger for good measure! . still loses to the F6 though

smac, May 21, 9:48am
Yeah you're right, been I while since I was reading this. The debate was whether Falcon would go to Taurus or Mustang, and Taurus seems to have won out there. Not really sure why, but I assume it will be financial.

fordcrzy, May 21, 10:02am
the coyote 5.0l that we see now is the base version of the engine.
we see the NON VVTI version with standard injection and a supercharger.
the "boss" engine seen in the states is a VVTI version. the heads have all been designed for direct injection. Ford engineers struggled to keep the power DOWN in that engine. A direct injection VVTI supercharged engine could easily make 450KW and be good on gas too. but hey they aint gonna bring out all those goodies right at the start. look for gradual upgrades in spec.

unbeatabull, May 21, 10:03am
The one in the FPV's has VVTI.

friendly_prawn, May 21, 10:08am
Its the version with the alloy block that really interests me.
I wonder how readily available they are or will be, second hand in NZ.

unbeatabull, May 21, 10:09am
The 5L in the FPV is an alloy block.

robotnik, May 21, 10:16am
The loss of the Falcon will be sad, but there will be alternatives like the BMW 5-series which I am sure will always be RWD.

friendly_prawn, May 21, 10:22am
kewl. cheers for that unbeatabull

friendly_prawn, May 21, 10:22am
thats if you like BMW's
Blerrrrrrrrrrrkkkkk!

fordcrzy, May 21, 10:24am
all the coyote engines are alloy. only the old 5.4 Boss engines were iron block. you can buy the new "coyote boss" engines from ford motorsport for pretty reasonable money.

fordcrzy, May 21, 10:32am
are you SURE about that!
i remember seeing a development article where they dumped the VVTI on the auusie spec miami coyote engine because they made too much power. to keep the power down they kept the supercharger but deleted the vvti. the aussie spec coyote uses all aussie amnufactured valve train, which adds weight to my arguement. the Mustang boss engines make 300KW in NA form. i find it hard to beleive that VVTI plus supercharger only nets another 35 kw

clark20, May 21, 11:54am
Yep, website states VCT (intake only)

http://www.fpv.com.au/gt_showroom/gt#tab-3

doug207, May 21, 12:53pm
You need help.

I'd much rather drive a 535d than any of the Folden models. I like cars that do their job well.

unbeatabull, May 21, 7:17pm
Meh, I knew it had some form of variable cams!