1987 L300 van

morrisjvan, May 17, 9:12am
Hi all , have got a mitsy L300,2lt ,5 speed ,column change . sometimes,(and getting more frequent), it wont go into reverse ,when it does go in it is as good as gold, no graunching, no noises, andsmooth change,but when it plays up it just dosent want to go.! is this a common problem !

pettal, May 17, 9:24am
Have you tried giving the linkages a lube ! .

matthew_129, May 17, 8:56pm
Your not shifting into 5th and then reverse by any chance! Most manual gearboxs will not allow a 5th to reverse shift by locking out reverse gear.

yogibearz, May 17, 9:11pm
There is a selector linkage in the box for reverse gear which can jamb and cause no reverse gear selection. I have seen a few on high mileage rural delivrey vans with the fault.It can be replaced with out removing the box but i cant recall the cost of parts. To a dealer who has done it before its not a big job but it is a bit fiddly .

morrisjvan, May 18, 10:52am
the linkages move freely,don't think it's that.

morrisjvan, May 18, 10:54am
dosen't seem to matter which gear i'm in previously, sometimes it goes, sometimes it don't.

morrisjvan, May 18, 10:56am
That's bound to be the problem. good that the box dosent have to come out though !

gizmsme, May 18, 11:14am
Does that model have the cable behind the front bumper that adjusts the sweep to select reverse! That and the pivot arm bush were the most common problems I came acrossand both easy to check.

mugenb20b, May 18, 10:38pm
Yes, but it takes only 15 minutes to remove the gearbox.