My 2000 toyota corolla z is having trouble picking

matt_sam, Jun 1, 10:19am
up speed. it struggles to pick up speed alot! it take ages to get up to 50kms, i could honestly walk faster than my car goes, its getting dangerous when i have to cross the main road because it takes ages. and it also has trouble when its cold in changing down. it goes slow and then does a change down and then takes off! i have taken it to my mechanical insurance's mechanical garage and they changed the spark plugs and said they couldn't find what was wrong with it! Any ideas!

intrade, Jun 1, 10:23am
automatic manual! also did they do a scan of the diagnostic. toyota can be a pain as most are not obd2 and only work on morse code diagnostic.
First thing i would check is your exhaust. check if it is not blocked up as that is the only reason i can think off that would slow it down and not throw a check engine light.

matt_sam, Jun 1, 10:28am
hi there it is an auto. yes they have done the diagnostic. i thought i might have to ring manawatu toyota and see if they can have a look at it!this might be a dumb question but how do i check my exhaust! i am a girl lol

fordkiwi27, Jun 1, 10:31am
transmission slipping!

matt_sam, Jun 1, 10:33am
no its not slipping at all

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 10:34am
Handbrake on!

matt_sam, Jun 1, 10:37am
lol no. i am a girl, but i do take the handbrake off

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 10:37am
Sorry.had to ask.

matt_sam, Jun 1, 10:42am
sweet as. my hubby wondered about changing fuel to a higher octane aswell. he thought that might help!

intrade, Jun 1, 10:47am
start the car and listen on the exhaust alos put your hand to shut the pipe while somone revs it up it should also not rev werry well in park if the exhaust is blocked. would mean a blocked cat convertor otherwise it should rev freely and dont rev it cold to high , If not mutch gas out the exhaust but continual slow stream even on high rpm then the exhaust is likely blocked
for compairing you can do the same test on a other car of similar make and year.

3tomany, Jun 1, 10:54am
Airflow meter.
Fish. :-)

kcf, Jun 2, 6:27am
rev it past 6000rpm, what happens!

kazbanz, Jun 2, 6:31am
mattsam--hard to diagnose over the net but my first thought is that its rolling away in second gear.-ie gearbox issue
Second thought is that the inlet is gunged up
Third thought-given its a year 2000 Its likely a VVTi engine--Im wondering if the wrong oil is in it and the VVTI is clogged up

fordcrzy, Jun 2, 9:37am
i remember something about the vvti toyotas going into limp mode when the vvti gives a problem code when revving past 6000. you have to reset the computer to clear it

matt_sam, Jun 2, 10:34pm
it doesnt rev past 6000 it goes really slow and the revs dont even get up to 2000 and then all of a sudden it kicks in and takes off and then it will get to around 7000 revs before it changes gear. then when i get into town it has trouble in changing up and down gears ans im stopping and starting through traffic.