Can't close BMW boot

ema1, May 27, 12:04am
Can't you put the key into the boot lock like normal, turn it to "click" it open again.
Basically what you have done is exactly the same as closing the boot lid when the anchor tongue clicks it shut anyway.
Have you got an interior boot lid release in the car , use that to "click" it into the open position again.

kazbanz, May 27, 12:04am
have you tried just pulling the release lever inside the car as if it was closed!
or just locking the car with the key and unlocking it again!
-ema--snap

saxman99, May 27, 12:21am
Push the silver boot button and at the same time use a screwdriver to pull the hook out again.(It should spring back but sometimes they get sticky.)

saxman99, May 27, 12:21am
No internal release on Bimmers.

henpen, May 27, 12:30am
If this car has an internal release lever then I've yet to find it - it's driving me mad. Do you think some cars might not actually have them as I've looked for it before and never been able to spot it. The manual doesn't say there is one either.

mugenb20b, May 27, 12:37am
Use a key as suggested.

kazbanz, May 27, 12:40am
Just lock the car and unlock it again

saxman99, May 27, 12:52am
As above, there isn't one.It's a security measure - it is possible to use the key to deadlock the boot so that it doesn't unlock with the rest of the car.This means the boot can be used as a secure place to put your stuff.If Mr LowLife thief breaks into the car and gets the door locks open, the boot is still locked.No internal release and rear seats that don't fold down with a steel plate welded between the seats and the boot mean that he will have to try very hard indeed to get in there.

This applies to sedans, not to hatchbacks and wagons of course, although the locking features will be the same.

These BMW's have a complicated locking system - it is deliberate, and very good.

saxman99, May 27, 12:53am
This wont work Kaz.The lock solenoid does not actuate the hook.

ema1, May 27, 12:53am
For gods sake use your boot opening key like I and others have stated ! have you got a drivers manual for the car at all and if you have got one .have you actually read it to find out where the interior boot release is before going off half cock about it!
Surely being a BMW it will have an interior boot release in there somewhere, it's most likely an electric release that will have a push button to operate it.
If you don't get any satisfaction/help here then I suggest you have it sorted by a BMW service place or any other competent service garage that's what they are there for.
What year and model BMW are we talking about here!
Answer could narrow the fix strategy down somewhat!

kazbanz, May 27, 12:59am
ahh then use the key in the boot lock

yachtie3, May 27, 1:04am
Put the bodies legs inside !

saxman99, May 27, 1:06am
and then push the silver button in the usual manner.

ema1, May 27, 1:11am
They have or should have a master and valet key for BMW's .use the MASTER KEY for goodness sake is that so hard to understand, there WILL BE provision for opening the boot manually (even though boot lid is open but the lock itself is in the locked position!)
How do you open the boot normally then eh .just do that just like normal and all should be good from then on.
Your thread title states "Can't close BMW boot"in theory the boot is shut ( well the lock is ) so common sense would have you open the boot just like you always do (even though the lid is up/open already.the lock is in shut position .) comprehende!Phhhooowwwrthe mind boggles. Strewth if you say you haven't go a clue where any interior boot release is .just use the other /normal method that you have at your disposal surely that isn't hard to understand.nuff said!

pico42, May 27, 1:23am

footplate1, May 27, 1:31am
I was told years ago that the absence of an internal release lever was deliberate.And I was truly glad of this when a previous car was broken into.

skin1235, May 27, 6:57am
they often over centre when closed, no amount of wiggling the key will get it to open the lock, as someone has said before use the key BUT at the same time use a screwdriver to pull the hook open while the key is in the activating position

thewomble1, May 27, 8:20am
the boot release button might be on the dashboard somewhere.

ema1, May 27, 8:25am
If it proves beyond O.P's capabilities( scratching my head!) take it to a BMW service centre or a competent garage as I said before .that's what they are there for.

budgel, May 27, 9:39pm

carclan, May 28, 9:00am
Try welding the boot shut with a six milimeter rod and about 150 amps on the welder. It should keep it closed.

ema1, May 29, 7:31am
Good idea ultimately would be to just get a length of twine or a strong boot lace .tie the lid down and take the damn car to a reputable workshop and have it sorted.
Most folks with common sense and lack of mechanical knowledge would have done that without getting embroiled with all the drama!

supernova2, May 29, 11:47am
Why is it that the simple problems become such a drama!Wonder if OP got it sorted!