CV Boot. Telstar 93 2L manual.

richard112, May 27, 10:05pm
Bought the boot (LH outer), & expected the job to take an hour or so, based on previous experience with a Subaru some years ago. Have just looked at the manual, & done some googling on the subject. Seems like a real major. (remove shaft completely, and THEN the problems start- etc) In fact some recommend buying a change over shaft (if they were available). Most of the Google info seems to be from the US (re 626s).
Are they really that hard, or are there short cuts!

a.woodrow, May 27, 10:10pm
It's a cv boot, sometimes they are straight foward and sometimes not. you won't know until you do it, the cv could be siezed on or it might come of first tap. you may even have to smash it of and cut the centre of the cv off with a grinder and need a new cv.

mechnificent, May 27, 11:58pm
Sometimes it is a lot quicker to pull the inner cv off, then any balancers, then the outer boot.
If the outer comes off easily, do it from that end, if it hasn't come off in a few hits, do the predictable straight forwards job as I suggest, even though it seems like more work.

richard112, May 28, 1:08am
Thanks all. I have a chequered history with circlips, so when mechanics say these are nasty, I worry. Subaru was held together w/pins (easy) so I had assumed that was the norm.I'll probably give it to the local mechanic, as if I get stuck half way it's big trouble because of my location.

unbeatabull, May 28, 5:25am
Meh, just use a stretchy boot.

mechnificent, May 28, 8:04am
To take the inner cv apart it's only a wire clip you can hook out with a small screwdriver, that's fitted inside the outer housing and can be felt in the ball grooves. Then once the inner part of the cv pulls out of the housing you use common opening type circlip pliers to take the inner part of the inner cv off the axle. and then slide the outer cv's boot right along the axle and off.

It's a sure way of doing them. Not as fast as the usual way if everything goes well doing it the common way, but always predictable.

morrisman1, May 28, 9:45am
I saw them in BNT, has anyone used them and if so what are they like! I like the idea but in practice, its probably going to result in improper greasing of the joint. I always flush out and regrease the CV joint when I change the boot.

mechnificent, May 28, 10:13am
They seem like very thin rubber. out in the country they would rip with the first bit of blackberry you drove through!

unbeatabull, May 28, 10:35am
They are surprisingly strong. I had it completely stretched over the work ex guys head. Not easy to cut either.

Only problem as above though is its hard to re-grease the joint.