Insurance for a 16 year old.

gooddealz2, May 25, 2:01am
Thought I'd ask out of interest.I own a 1992 VP SS Commodore which of course is a V8.I have given my just turned 16 year old daughter a number of lessons quite happily as I'm an ex driving instructor on all types of terrain in all conditions fortunately without incident.I rang up my insurance company the other day to try and get a better deal on one of my other cars and thought whilst I was on that I should get her added to approved drivers for the Holden only under my supervision.I expected to pay a higher premium but they would not insure for her at any price.Is there an insurance company out there that would and if so what kind of premium would I be looking at!I emphasise that she will not be driving this car on her own at any point in the near future.

hopie, May 25, 2:56am
NAC but dont expect any change out of 2months wages minimum

grangies, May 25, 6:39am
It funny with insurance companies how they emphasize engine size over power to weight ratio.

An old 1992 SS Commodore isn't exactly a power house.

mears69, May 25, 6:44am
try a company called TOWES motor insurance, i found them in the yellow pages and i think they are based in hawkes bay, they are a broker.

i got insurance with NAC alot cheaper through them than i did going direct with NAC. not sure how it works tho.

i have never been told no, and i have had quite a few perfomance cars (turbo, boy racer type) and the costs havent been to bad. excess is slightly higher tho.

gooddealz2, May 25, 12:31pm
It funny with insurance companies how they emphasize engine size over power to weight ratio.

An old 1992 SS Commodore isn't exactly a power house.

grangies (30 )6:39 pm, Fri 25 May #3

That's my thought exactly.There must be plenty of cars that are quicker off the mark than mine and faster through corners.Old BMW I had would leave Holden for dead through a winding road.I don't get why just because it's a V8 it's a no go area especially as I'll also be in it everytime.

kazbanz, May 25, 3:00pm
Its a 5.0l v8 -and despite being an oldieis the SS model so concidered to be a performance car. thats the way insurance companies view it .

pollymay, May 25, 3:47pm
I drive a VN SS, it's a tank, tail happy in the rain and if you put your foot down at the wrong time gets very hairy very fast especially with a shift kit. Plus they get stolen.

It's a huge torquehouse, it just doesn't make horsepower. Horsepower is the measure of how fast it can apply power, it's calculated. Torque is the real measured application of force the car can provide. An old 5.0 can make A LOT of that, it will break tyres loose in the rain, in the dry, on old tyres, on new 255 potenzas, on corners, on straights, in first, in second, in third, in reverse and I had the displeasure of finding out while overtaking a truck in the rain that it will in fact do it at highway speeds. I don't see poxy old corollas picking up a wheel going down the motorway.

It's not fast, it is still something that will bite the inexperienced though which I guess is why it's considered a high risk vehicle. Plus being a tank it's going to write off anything it even lightly touches in the most minor shunts.

gooddealz2, May 26, 6:16am
I must admit it can be a bit tail happy but I'm used to it.My daughter has driven in the pouring rain but ours has the advantage of being an Auto so easy to drive in that respect.I guess we just have to suck it up.I don't know that they get stolen that often but ours won't go unless it's disarmed first.

bid9, Jun 1, 10:23pm
best to buy a cheap little car. My son is 18 years old, has 2005 v8 holden ute, is paying over $2000.00 a year insurance, only insurance company that would insure was nac. alot of money for a nice looking car.