Tell me about Rav4's 1996

crazycolt, May 23, 6:17am
what do you think of this one Listing #: 477963834. and are they good on gas, comfortable, nice to drive, what about towing a horse float!

jasongroves, May 23, 6:20am
Maybe you could ask a broader and more generalized question!

jasongroves, May 23, 6:20am
Seriously though.what type of info are you wanting specifically!

crazycolt, May 23, 6:23am
edited op

mugenb20b, May 23, 6:25am
Mechanically very good, but it's up to you if you want to pay $6k for a 16 year old car. Thirsty, lots of road noise (so much that you can't have a conversation in the car), they handle like a balloon full of poridge, front seats push on your thighs, good off road performance for a soft roader. All in all, RAVs are over rated.

mugenb20b, May 23, 6:27am
I wouldn't be.

gsimpson, May 23, 6:27am
For towing check it's towing capacity and how heavy your float is laden.

hannah443, May 23, 8:14am
Hi crazycolt, I own a 1995 Rav 4 and love it.Have owned it for 2 years and it is very reliable .I occasionally tow a horse float but its not really a suitable vehicle for that purpose,and will have to look to buying something else to do this, so as much as I would recommend them as a good 4WD, I think if you are planning on towing a float you would be better off with something else.My mechanic suggested a Pajero,but haven't looked at any yet. Also, I paid $4000 for mine off Trade Me,mint condition.I think the one you are looking at might be a bit dear!( however I'm no expert) Can you let us know how you get on and what you end up buying!

ambo11, May 23, 8:19am
We've got one, and unless you are towing a single float with an anorexic horse, the Rav would struggle to tow it.small vehicle to have a huge trailer full of two nags.quite thirsty I feel too. But amazingly good as a 4WD on farm hills etc. Yes they are reasonably noisy, although we have "proper" 4WD tyres on ours. Reckon an Isuzu Bighorn etc etc would be a much safer vehicle to tow the nags around.

ambo11, May 23, 8:20am
Also ours is 1996 but a 3 door, paid $2500 for it, very tidy.that one is pricey.they seem to keep their value though.

tgray, May 23, 8:20am
The rear diff mounts wear prematurely, so put in drive and then reverse and see if it 'thuds' as it engages.
Also oil leaks are common and lots of road noise from the tyres.
Apart from that, hey it's a Toyota, so very reliable.

doug207, May 23, 8:30am
Not too well thought out and too thirsty for a tiny 4WD. They're nothing great to drive, but they could be a lot worse.
If you want a small 4WD buy something that you can put in to 2WD, far more economical.

tuttyclan, May 23, 9:47am
That one seems overpriced.We paid 4k for a 1994 3 door auto with 164000 km 3 years ago.(Has 198,000km now.)Yes they are a little thirsty on fuel but its so reliable,not as comfortable IMO compared to my '97 Accord but its my wifes car and she loves it and thats all that matters lol.